Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #1

AF360FGZ won't flash in wireless mode

This has been driving me insane. I just got my K-7 and decided I should finally try and use my strobe off camera. I feel like I have tried everything and am hoping I just overlooked some small detail. I am using

-I attach flash to K7.
-I place the flash into wireless mode (Power switch between ON and OFF positions)
-I set the AF360 Sync Wireless switch to the S position.
-I slide the right side switch to the yellow Dot, and set the wireless channel to 1
-I slide the right switch back to the white dot.
-I turn on the K7. Press the shutter button down halfway at least until the camera autofocuses.
- I set the flash mode to wireless on the K7.
- I remove the flash. I pop up the camera flash.
- I press the shutter. The on-camera flash will fire. The AF360FGZ will beep at the moment it should be firing instead of actually firing.

After further testing anytime I press the modeling button the flash makes a noise like it's firing for a second then recharges but no flash is ever fired. The flash will not fire a test flash when the Test button is pressed unless it is connected to the camera and in the ON position (not wireless position). I also cannot get the flash to wirelessly fire via optical by changing the wireless slave mode to Slave1 or Slave2 and using it in manual mode. I am beginning to think I have a faulty flash, though it usually works normally when on camera (though I have had issues where it seemed to stop working though I thought that was caused by turning the camera and flash on in the wrong order).

Now there is one question I haven't asked that could possibly be the culprit here. Can you hand hold the flash? I currently don't have another hotshoe to place the flash in so I am hand holding it for these wireless tests. I am also making sure to keep my hands free of the front sensor. The camera obviously beeps to acknowledge the flash but nothing happens. Hmm. Perhaps I could try placing the flash in my K10D (while leaving it off) and try the wireless flash to test the "must be placed in a hotshoe" theory.

06-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #2

Original Poster
Just tried it by sliding the flash into my k10D (which was off so as to simulate a light stand) but it still didn't flash. Just the beep.
06-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Dang - When I saw the title of your post I was going to reply with check list similar to yours.
I've had my share of issues with the 360 (none where the flash itself was at fault...) but I have nothing to contribute after your suprisilngly good first post.

On my 360 the test button works off-camera, manual mode works. Slave 1 & 2 works the way they are supposed to do.

I would guess there's something wrong with your flash.
06-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Good to know. If it is indeed faulty I will send it in ASAP. I am going to email Pentax. Anyone else have input as to hand-held flash usage?

06-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what the culprit is here, but for starters, definitely set the camera to wireless mode with the flash attached to the camera's hotshoe before you depress the shutter halfway to engage the communication between the camera and flash wirelessly.

Then try the Slave mode on the flash set to SL2 (check your manual if you don't know how to set this mode) and see how you go.
06-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not sure what the culprit is here, but for starters, definitely set the camera to wireless mode with the flash attached to the camera's hotshoe before you depress the shutter halfway to engage the communication between the camera and flash wirelessly.

Then try the Slave mode on the flash set to SL2 (check your manual if you don't know how to set this mode) and see how you go.
Yep. Tried both of those to no avail above

Also, the batteries in the flash are brand new and the battery door is securely fastened (it can be finnicky to close and I have read of it giving others problems).
06-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Given you've followed all the right steps, it doesn't seem the flash is working correctly.
I have no trouble getting my flashes firing wirelessly, as long as the on-camera flash is pointed in direct line of sight of the flash's sensor on the front of the flash body.
So if you know you've done everything right and it just doesn't work, take it back for a review by your local repairer.
07-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just got the flash back from Pentax. They replaced the flash PCB board. I tried all the same steps and temporarily blinded myself looking at the external flash to see if it would fire haha. Glad that I wasn't going crazy before.

07-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
on the k-x, i had to set flash in wireless mode to option 2 under the C menu, 3rd page and the flash to C. maybe S... cant remeber and im at work now so i cant confirm. i remeber it was a pita to figure out cause the manual doesnt mention any setting in the camera to change.
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah I set my wireless mode to 2 a long time ago. Flash still needs to be set to S. If it was C it would have to be on-camera.
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
So, my flash has gone back to the same issue as before. Won't fire at all, then it will work for a few shots, then it stops firing again (despite batteries being brand new).

To make matters worse my warranty period has ended so I may be screwed.

Anyone have any ideas?
09-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

You sure seem to be having more than your fair share of issues with this flash. When it Does work, does it take a Real long time to charge and light the ready light? When mounted on the camera, if you have a zoom lens mounted, does the flash change focal length after you change the FL on the lens (and half press the shutter button)? These would indicate two separate issues. If the first is the case, the circuitry or the flash tube itself is likely roached. If it's the Second (long shot but I'm asking anyway)... here's what happened to my 540 a few years ago..

Jammed AF540FGZ -- How to Fix: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

IF you decide to venture into opening the flash itself, heed the high voltage warnings I give in that link (third paragraph).

Beyond that, I'm not going to be of much help here. Good luck with it..

09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
Nope everything works completely normally and then all of a sudden whenever I fire you can faintly hear it make a sound but nothing fires. The sound may be the capacitors discharging?

Good news is I just checked my warranty and I have 12 days left! I thought for sure I would be over. I'm going to just send it in
09-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Sounds like the best idea. I'd demand that they Replace the unit however. Twice failed in one year, something is screwy with it.

10-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #15

Original Poster
So I carefully explained how this unit had been messing up for almost a year and how I had to get it "fixed" once and that the problem was still there. I demanded a replacement. All I ended up getting was the flash sent back to me saying that they could not reproduce the problem. It happens to me nearly every time I use the flash for more than 10 shots. Starting to get really sick of Pentax support!