Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
Is the cord you ended up with have a namebrand/model number? Have you verified if it works on the KX?
The cord is branded "Cameron, Model #5021340". There is a Booth Photographic logo (Newmarket ON, Canada) on the rear of the carton. I bought it at Henry's (Ontario, Canada).

Having said all that, I can't recommend the Cameron cord for a K-x. On the K20D, the cord is completely transparent, the flash acts the same as it does when mounted directly on the camera. With the shoe cord on the K-x I get a proper exposure, but the flash lasts a loooong time. It sort of crackles and seems to stay lit for an entire second.

I'm glad you asked about this. I just assumed the cord would be fine on the K-x, since it works flawlessly on the K20D. Unfortunately this doesn't resolve your issue of which cord to buy. Given your experience with the generic cord and the Vivitar, I wouldn't even know where else to look. The Pentax cord is an obvious choice for pro use, but ouch, the price.

08-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Given your experience with the generic cord and the Vivitar, I wouldn't even know where else to look. The Pentax cord is an obvious choice for pro use, but ouch, the price.
Thanks a ton for that info -- the pickings for a KX off-camera cord are getting rather slim!

I'm just going to keep using that generic all-manufacturer TTL cord. It has pins all over the place, which increases the chance of them not lining up properly, but it works most of the time, and when it doesn't re-seating the flash or the hotshoe adapter does the trick. I might open it up and remove the non-P-TTL pins to see if I can reduce the potential for that problem, but....it's working.

I'm interested in the OEM Pentax off-camera system, but even though I'm a pretty smart guy I'm finding it a little confusing. I can't really find good documentation and/or images that show what I need, and just buying a 3-foot cable, the hotshoe adapter, and the off camera shoe comes pretty close to (if not actually) $100. That's a big OUCH, as that's what my flash P-TTL flash cost!

Still searching for an off-camera cable solution for the KX that works.