Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash just stopped working?

My trusty old AF280T all of a sudden stopped charging to the point of being ready for a release. This happened yesterday, after just using it, maybe like 30 minutes passed, and it no longer would release flashes. Now I just hear the high-pitched squeal and no ready light.

I've charged the batteries, put in fresh ones, let it sit overnight without batteries, etc.

Any suggestions?

06-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
My trusty old AF280T all of a sudden stopped charging to the point of being ready for a release. This happened yesterday, after just using it, maybe like 30 minutes passed, and it no longer would release flashes. Now I just hear the high-pitched squeal and no ready light.

I've charged the batteries, put in fresh ones, let it sit overnight without batteries, etc.

Any suggestions?
Hrm, is the ready light also the test button? Wondering if that might be the hangup.
06-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

Sounds like the capacitor is gone. That happened to my Vivitar handle mount a couple of years ago. Capasitor just wouldn't hold the charge. too bad for me the flash wasn't a common one so no spare used parts were available. Good for me because I found a AF400T Pentax handle mount.
06-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ready light is separate from the test button (which doesn't work, of course).

How easy is it to open up? Is the capacitor value printed? I have some spare parts around.

06-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Is the capacitor value printed?
It should be printed on the label of the cap.

Be very careful when dealing with the capacitor. If it is not dead, and there is a charge in it, it can give you a very dangerous shock. Be sure to short the leads of the cap with an insulated tool.
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the cap is shot. If you end up taking it apart, post some pictures if you can. I have one so I am curious.

By shorting out capacitors with a low resistance "tool" or what ever, you can actually damage them. Better way to discharge a capacitor is to get a clip-lead and a resistor, something around 10k ohm should do. Hook it across the terminals and wait couple minutes.
I realize that a flash discharge capacitor was build to withstand high peak joules/second discharge rates, but why stress things when not necessary.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 06-30-2010 at 03:47 PM.
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It should be printed on the label of the cap.

Be very careful when dealing with the capacitor. If it is not dead, and there is a charge in it, it can give you a very dangerous shock. Be sure to short the leads of the cap with an insulated tool.
Will do, I'll use a high ohm resistor, if I can even find which one it is.

Has anyone opened up one of these or have a circuit diagram (crosses fingers)? Will it be obvious as to which capacitor?

06-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Will it be obvious as to which capacitor?
The biggest one. You can't miss it.
06-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The biggest one. You can't miss it.
And it's usually in the flash head itself, not in the body.
07-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

Like I said the capacitor is more than likely dead. Shorting it won't hurt it any more. And shorting it once won't kill a good cap either.