Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
this one is DIY and i have another that i haven't used yet. will, ck your phone messages

Sorry I missed your call yesterday, Roy. I'm sending you a private email.

I've decided now that I should have a bracket even if it's not something I use often, so I'm about to place an order online. Wolf Camera on Greenville in Dallas had a couple that I looked at yesterday. But the one I like the most from my online "research" is still this Bogen-Manfrotto model 233B that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Price is right. I've spent the money to get the K10D and the 540 flash, etc., but I don't think I need (or can afford) the top-of-the line flash bracket, at least not right now. But I'm not a brilliant handy-man like Roy, so I'm not going to rig something up on my own. It has good user reviews, although one guy on Amazon.com doesn't like the way the plastic handle smells, which is slightly worrisome! And it clearly won't be bothered by the presence or absence of the battery grip.

The main thing I don't understand is what else I need to buy and why.

I know that that bracket doesn't provide a way to attach the camera. So I need some kind of do-hickey to screw on to the top of the pole so I can attach the flash unit, right? But what do-hickey? Do I need a do-hickey that's specifically for my Pentax 540?

And how does the flash get triggered when it's over on the bracket? I know how to trigger it wirelessly using the K10D's built-in flash. But I'm under the impression that the safer way to do this would be to buy a wire that connects the camera body to the flash unit. Is that right? And is that wire a Pentax-specific item or a standard/universal sort of thing?

Will

08-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trying to answer my own questions, I've come up with a little more info from Pentax's site. I'm looking at the page located here:

Purchase Our Products/Photo Accessories/Flash Accessories

Here's the precise URL for the page I'm looking at. I am suddenly realizing this is going to cost more than I expected. Looks like, in addition to the bracket ($60 for the model I'm contemplating), I'd also be needing:
  1. A hot shoe adapter for the K10D body.
  2. An off-camera hot shoe to go on to the bracket.
  3. A cable to connected 1 to 2
Looks like those items might come to $170 MSRP, although I'm not sure. I understand that the cable isn't absolutely necessary as I know how to trigger the flash wirelessly, but I think I'd rather use the cable, if I go to the trouble to set up this rig.

So, am I right about those items? Am I missing something? Do I need something else to connect the off-camera shoe (#2 above) to the bracket's pole?

And which hot shoe adapter do I need? I hate Pentax's web site much of the time, as it really lacks info that it would be nice to have. There's a hot shoe adapter "F" and a hot shoe adapter "FG". The latter has no picture and no info. Since my flash is the 540 FGZ, I'm guessing that I need the hot shoe adapter "FG" model, but I don't know really.

I'm still curious to know if this stuff is standard/universal or whether it's specific to the Pentax.

Thanks,

Will
08-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
roy
Inactive Account

will,
I'm pretty sure you can trigger the flash wirelessly with your setup. why spend $100+ if you don't need it..
i don't like the bracket you are getting. i think you'd like one that can keep the flash above the lens whether it's in portrait or landscape mode.
08-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
roy
Inactive Account

i don't think you need to spend $60 on one either.
i'd have to look it up but i think the difference between the F & FG is the FG allows use of the onboard flash. mine does not but there is marking on it to tell me which one it is.

i still think this will work with out wires. these two units were made for each other.

roy

08-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I have had a chance to use the bracket. It is very well made and I like it a lot.

I am using a Canon off camera flash cord. There is a part that fits over the on camera flash shoe, a cord, and the end part that has both a shoe and a screw base to which you attach your flash onto it.

I am using a small ball head on the bracket. This allows me to align the flash over the lens. Likewise, it allows me to angle the flash any which way i want. Combine this with the angling of the flash support arm, and you can macro flash placement quite easily.

As Roy stated, you probably do not need an off camera flash cord, as you can slave it from the built in flash. I am going to leave that knowledge in better hands. To be honest, I am not quite up to par on the Pentax flash systems yet.
08-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
roy
Inactive Account

chako
does the canon cord provide P-TTL ???
08-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Oh sorry Roy. I have a Canon 20D. The off camera flash bracket is entirely proprietary to the gear.

It would not work on a Pentax.

08-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
roy
Inactive Account

i was sure that was the reason.
thank
roy
08-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roy, if he got the F and couldn't use the pop up flash, wouldn't that mean he couldn't go wireless?
08-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
will,
I'm pretty sure you can trigger the flash wirelessly with your setup. why spend $100+ if you don't need it..
You are quite right, Roy, I can trigger the flash by popping up the built-in flash, setting everything to wireless mode, and letting the built-in flash sent out a burst that triggers the detached unit (the 540FGZ). I have used this effectively already and feel comfortable with it.

But there are two problems with this form of wireless (where one flash triggers the other -- I'm not talking about using radio signals like with a Pocket Wizard). First, if you're shooting an event where there are other photographers (say, a wedding, but I've had this problem elsewhere), someone else's flash may trigger my flash. Second, light-based wireless doesn't work real well if you're using the detached unit for fill flash outside in fairly bright ambient light.

I believe that a cord will eliminate both of those problems. I do not want to bother with Pocket Wizards at a wedding or First Communion or similar event. Just too much hassle for me!

QuoteQuote:
i don't like the bracket you are getting. i think you'd like one that can keep the flash above the lens whether it's in portrait or landscape mode.
Good thought and one I have wondered about myself. I'm not sure, but it looks to me as the Bogen Manfrotto will indeed pivot on two axes so that you can get the flash above the lens even in portrait mode. I've studied this photo of the unit and it seems to me that the main "mast" can be turned down so that it's parallel to the base of the bracket. Several user reviews of the product mention that it's very adjustable.

What I really like about this unit is that it looks like you can really get that flash pretty far from the lens -- either high up, or hanging off to the side, or somewhere in between.

Will
08-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

When I get around to getting a flash for my K10D/*ist Ds, I will get the hot shoe adapter, cable and hot shoe with the tripod mount (one of the versions of hot shoes avaiable - I don't remember if it is the F or FG model).

The reason for this is - I absolutely dispise on axis flash - whether you can us it for "wireless" or not. If you want to make a person - angry - just blast away their retinas with a on camera flash. Plus you have to deal with red eye.

Just my opinion - and I have never used the flash on my K10D - don't know if it works and I do not care.

PDL
08-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #27
Inactive Account

This is why I was describing what I am using (Canon and Pentax gear isn't that different).

The flash bracket arm can pivot forward or backwards, and you can pivot the camera plate up or down and also pivot forward and backwards along the axis. However, if you want to truly get flexible, get yourself a small ball head and fix that atop the arm. It matters not the screw size, as both standards are supported. Mount your flash atop the ball head, and you can position that flash anywhere you want. This is perfect for macro work, as well as portraiture. The ball head means you can now aim your flash directly in front of your lens when needed.
08-20-2007, 02:57 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Hey Will,
I used to use the Stroboframe Quickflip 350 bracket with my Super Program and 280T flash (with adapters and cord connecting them). It is the type that keeps the flash directly over the lens which drops the shadows low and directly behind the subject. I was very happy with it and it did make a definate improvement in my flash photos. Adorama sells the bracket for under $50. I will be trying to use it on my K10D once I buy an appropriate flash (next purchase in line).
Regards,
Brian
08-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #29
roy
Inactive Account

will'
using the hot shoes will allow you not to have to use the onboard flash and i do see your point. i have the 3meter(10') cord. when i got it i thought i'd dislike it because of the length. i was wrong. like i said ealier the difference in the fittings that go on the camera are different. one is square and flat, like mine, the other resembles a squared off tapered column. that's the one that allows onboard flash. the cord also comes out of the top of that base and it comes out the side of mine. a 3rd party also offers these as well. can't think of who right now. i think however they use a combined unit with only 3' of cord..
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so I'm still making my mind up about which bracket. I was fairly set on the Bogen Manfrotto, but I'm considering the Stroboframe quickflip now, too.

But whichever one I buy, I'm still going to need to buy something else, right? I gather that, if I want to use a cable to trigger the flash (and use P-TTL), I'll need to buy
  1. A bracket
  2. Pentax hot shoe adapter for the camera body
  3. Pentax hot shoe for the bracket
  4. The Pentax cable
Two questions. I've asked these already but I don't think they've been answered.

First, does the external hot shoe (the one that goes on the bracket) have the ability to connect to the bracket built in? Or do I have to buy some sort of attachment piece?

Second, am I right in thinking that these shoes all have to be Pentax brand? Or are there third-party alternatives?

Thanks.

Will