Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #31
Inactive Account

On most brackets, the shoe is a 'cold shoe' and simply clamps the flash foot to the bracket. On some, you have to buy it seperately. Be careful that the shoe does not use a metal base plate; your contacts must be isolated somehow.

I believe Paramount makes a cable for the Pentax, but I have always used two Pentax hot shoe adapters and the Pentax cable. It has always been 100% reliable. You slide the one hot shoe on the camera and the other is clamped to the cold shoe on the bracket. It is stronger than it sounds (unless you use a flash-flip bracket and then there is a lot of strain on the flash base.)

I have tried lots of brackets and never been satisfied with any of them. I want to use my camera vertically with the battery grip attached but there is no way to do this that is compact, lightweight and keeps my shutter button at the top. I have actually gone back to my Stroboframe camera-flip bracket and taken off the battery grip. At least it flips the camera the right way for me, which is not what I can say about most brackets in portrait mode.

Also, with the battery grip off, I can get even higher above the lens with the flash.

08-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Have you considered this?

Promaster

The Manfrotto bracket has a reversible screw that fits atop the flash arm. It will fit either a 1/4" or 3/8" screw. This screw should screw right into the off camera flash cord.

I suggested that you may want to add a ball head at a later date to fit between the flash arm and the off flash sync cord. This would allow you maximum flexibility in positioning your flash for all sorts of work, such as macro.

Whichever bracket you get, I am sure you will enjoy it.
08-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #33

I have the Stratos 835F folding brackett from B&H for $60. It attaches to the camera with or without the battery grip, has the shoe attachment on the bracket, is infinitely adjustable, and has excellent beefy quality. The only other thing needed is the cable which Promaster has for about $35 which has both end connectors (a lot cheaper than the 3 piece Pentax setup) or you can go wireless. Also, it easily folds to a size that will fit into most camera bags.
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I have the Stratos 835F folding brackett from B&H for $60. It attaches to the camera with or without the battery grip, has the shoe attachment on the bracket, is infinitely adjustable, and has excellent beefy quality. The only other thing needed is the cable which Promaster has for about $35 which has both end connectors (a lot cheaper than the 3 piece Pentax setup) or you can go wireless. Also, it easily folds to a size that will fit into most camera bags.
JohnV3, is this Amazon listing for the bracket you are recommending? It describes it as a Siegellite Stratos 835, but I don't see the letter "F" in there anywhere. I can't find this item at Adorama.

Thanks,

Will

08-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #35

Will: It sort of looks like it but there appears to be a few extra knobs above the pad on the grip. Also, there is no mention of it being able to fold. That may be where the F comes in. The packaging on mine makes no mention of Siegelite so it may be copy or ownership may have changed since April. The foldable one which I have is still available at B&H so you can compare the two depictions. The enlarged picture at B&H is very helpful. The Amazon site has other brackets by Siegelite at various prices but none appear to fold.

John
08-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Will: It sort of looks like it but there appears to be a few extra knobs above the pad on the grip. Also, there is no mention of it being able to fold. That may be where the F comes in. The packaging on mine makes no mention of Siegelite so it may be copy or ownership may have changed since April. The foldable one which I have is still available at B&H so you can compare the two depictions. The enlarged picture at B&H is very helpful. The Amazon site has other brackets by Siegelite at various prices but none appear to fold.

John
OK, thanks, John. I didn't realize that the F stands for "folding". I'll find it. If all else fails, I have a telephone around here somewhere and I bet B&H has a phone number -- unlike Amazon.com. ;-)

Will