07-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ve read good reviews on the
Bowen SFD926P. Got some questions to those who owns it
Can it be set wirelessly?
Does it tilt and swivel?
How much power does it fire compare with AF360?

07-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
Eds

In my view there is nothing wrong with the Pentax AF200 FG as a starter flash. It is PTT-L and aside from not having as much power as the 360 or 500 series, is super simple to use and get used to. Full retail through Pentax is $150. I have all three flashes, but often find myself using the 200. Eds
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Does it tilt and swivel?
I guess you didn't read my post at the start of this thread since you where more interested with the Metz I suppose.
I already gave most of what it can do there.
Try to re-read it.
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The 285HV is not P-TTL but it is a huge *ss flash!
You have to use it manually reading off the calculations on the guide on the flashe's side.
I don't know anything about the Metz but I am happy with the Tumax brand flashes such as Bower SFD926P, Rokinon, Vivitar DF383, Digital Concepts..all are power zoom and just have different re-brands but all are made by Tumax.
These are P-TTL with optical slave built-in too!
They also have a bulit-in pull-out diffuser and card bouncer.

All it lacks is the wireless capability of the OEM Pentax flashes.
These brands that I mentioned also offer models that have a manual zoom head instead of the power zoom feature or a much lower model with just a bounce (minus the swivel) feature.
With the power zoom feature with bounce and swivel they would cost around $90+ to $120+.
With the manual zoom feature with bounce and swivel they would cost only $80+.
For just the bounce featured models, they are about $50 (mostly Rokinons).
I use this more (Bower SFD926P) than the Vivitar 285HV.
P-TTL is the way to go!
Here it is again!
It has swivel and bounce and has a power zoom too and you can use it wirelessly but it doesn't work on radio waves but it works as an optical slave.
Power zoom meaning as you zoom your lens, the flash head zoom has a motor that automatically zooms too to match the focal length of you lens. You don't have to manually pull out the flash zoom head or push it back in.
It is still wireless but it uses the flash (light) of the camera to trigger it.

Last edited by GerryL; 07-29-2010 at 06:54 PM.
07-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

My main concern with the generic-make flash series is support. Even the most-well-made flashes have a kinda-high failure rate... it's easy for the zoom head to get stuck, and there's all sorts of other things which can go wrong. And while some people are definitely pleased with theirs, you don't have to look far on the internet to find stories of frustration.

None of the generic brand people have ever answered questions I've put to them for my flash guide — Bower, Sakar/Vivitar/Digital Concepts, Soligar, no one. (Well, Sakar did after many queries send me a scan of the manual. But no questions answered.) So, not having a support channel available is definitely where some of the savings come in. I haven't ever tried to get one of these things repaired, but I wouldn't count on it — I think it's mostly a matter of shrug-and-buy-a-new-one.

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
It is still wireless but it uses the flash (light) of the camera to trigger it.
Note that this is different from what the Pentax/Metz/Sigma flashes do. Those are also optically triggered from the main flash, but they actually use a near-instant back-and-forth communication to determine the correct flash level. The generic flashes with remote capability are just firing whenever they see any bright light (presumably with logic to avoid responding to the preflash).
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
It was a toss-up between the Metz 48 and the Sigma EF 530 DG Super, but I decided to go with the Metz for the features, thinking I could bear with a bad user interface if it meant more features.
What features do you mean? The significant differences I see favour the Sigma 530 Super, i.e. more power and the ability to act as controller for other flashes. Even the higher power flashes like the Pentax 540, Metz 58 and Sigma 530 don't have a lot of power compared to studio lighting, so power is something I value very highly.
07-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Bowen SFD926P.
You should also look at the Sigma 530 ST for the same price. The Sigma is more powerful than the Bowen.

Personally I wouldn't buy either as I consider wireless operation a necessity.

07-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Does it tilt and swivel?
I referenced it earlier in this thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I vote for the Bower 926P

I got it a few weeks ago as my first flash and it's been wonderful as on on camera flash. I used it yesterday to take pictures of a house for a realtor and without it I would have not been able to get any of the shots, the tilt and swivel head was the clincher. After having both tilt and swivel together I can't imagine having a flash with only one or neither, because I had to precisely aim the flash with tilt and swivel in every single shot, I didn't use direct flash once all day

it's pretty cheap and is P-TTL*, nice power too

*thanks GerryL for pointing that out
But it cannot be set wirelessly unfortunately. It has an interactive distance guide though, you just input your exposure settings and it gives you a pretty accurate distance scale
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You should also look at the Sigma 530 ST for the same price. The Sigma is more powerful than the Bowen.

Looks like the Sigma has fewer variable power levels, the Bower has 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16, it's also 35 bucks cheaper, enough to buy some eneloop's, flash bracket, and a mini softbox
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
My main concern with the generic-make flash series is support. Even the most-well-made flashes have a kinda-high failure rate... it's easy for the zoom head to get stuck, and there's all sorts of other things which can go wrong. And while some people are definitely pleased with theirs, you don't have to look far on the internet to find stories of frustration.

None of the generic brand people have ever answered questions I've put to them for my flash guide — Bower, Sakar/Vivitar/Digital Concepts, Soligar, no one. (Well, Sakar did after many queries send me a scan of the manual. But no questions answered.) So, not having a support channel available is definitely where some of the savings come in. I haven't ever tried to get one of these things repaired, but I wouldn't count on it — I think it's mostly a matter of shrug-and-buy-a-new-one.
Very true and I understand why some people go the higher end namebrand route, but for me being an amateur hobbyist and volunteer school/church photographer, I can buy and break about 3.5 generic flash units before reaching the price of one OEM flash unit.

After years of wasting money, I've changed my overall philosophy on most purchases of electronics, appliances, etc. -- buy the cheapest, lowest end model you can tolerate or does the job for you, and when it breaks throw it away. I decided this after going through a $600 dishwasher, $500 computer printer, and an $800 video camera. All of them ended up in the garbage (or at a recycling center) *AFTER* I paid for the fees associated with a "limited" warranty repair and they still didn't work properly (or at all). I now have a $250 dishwasher, an $80 printer, and my Pentax KX is my video and still camera.

Please don't view this as defensive or a retort , as that's not the tone I'm trying to pass on. There are just two different philosophies when it comes to purchases like this.

-- Chris
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #41

Just FYI, I use the Bower off-camera frequently with one of two off-camera cords -- one short and one rather long, both of which provide full P-TTL communication.

Now, I know that a wire can't be used in all situations, but if you're just doing some studio-like work, it's a reliable and much cheaper solution. I mean, c'mon folks -- the OP did say he was a beginner!

-- Chris
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Metz 48 is currently $224 shipped from BH. If I had a Canon dSLR the 430EX II would be a good choice. However, $329 for a flash that will have to be used in manual or auto doesn't seem like a bargain to me, metal foot or not. Canon didn't used to have metal feet. I have a Speed Lite ring flash for film that doesn't. Maybe this will be a new trend.

One other thing about the Metz flashes can be updated via USB.
hehehehe...I so agree that for an off camera all manual flash the 430EX II would be kinda spendy. I really was sorta making a (bad) joke about using the Canon flash because I was stoooopid and sold them when I moved to Pentax, not thinking it through that I hardly ever used one on camera anyway and could still get a 580EX to control it if I wanted to...but the big thing about the 430EX II was they had just switched to the metal foot about a year before I bought mine...apparently there was a history of, well, problems with their plastic feet breaking off...even more than the Sigma flashes of the same time. But as I mentioned the Pentax flashes might not feel right to me, still I haven't read any posts about their foot breaking off so they must be doing something right that way.

I think my main issue with the Pentax is not the 560 flash but the lack of swivel and, I forget what else on the 360 flash...my flash needs are very simple and basic, 99.9999% for studio product shooting so I can make do with lower end flashes pretty well...of course I would LOVE a half dozen nice powerful P-TTL flashes to use but the Brand-X Yongnuo YN460's I have work well enough even though two are held together with duct tape....but that was my fault because I was fiddling with taking them apart and, well, kinda did not look before I leaped when cracking the head open because, well, I broke a couple of the internal clip thingies...hehehee...but at under $50 ea I did not mind since they still work.

I do agree with Matt about 3rd party flashes like Yongnuo or whoever that the thing we are not paying for is support. I will say though that Yongnuo has opened their own Flickr group and does answer questions and make product announcements. And in general seem to be making very steady improvements to their build quality while keeping prices down. Still were I earning a living or shooting anything where I could not simply take another shot if there was a misfire, I would have all Metz 58's or maybe the Pentax 560...because there is a big compromise to be made being cheap as I am in some areas...heck I still use an older than dirt Vivitar 273 when I really wanna blow out a background or light a whole room kinda thing...picked it up for $6 at a thrift shop and it works well for that on a wireless trigger.

BTW, I think the newest version of the Canon ring flash is a metal foot as well, or maybe I am thinking of the twin-head flash instead...I don't remember it's been so long since I looked, over a year that is for sure...

Oh, and when I bought my 430EX II's I paid a sale price of $185 ea. a bit over 2 years ago...more like 2.5 years back and their off the shelf price was $219 at the time, so they would seem to have increased if you say they are around $329 now...still it's a really well build flash and while I might not be willing, if I needed one I would pay the price because that model has worked so well for me in the past. Moot point since I am over here now and no way I am dropping over three-bills/flash for my needs...$125 is the most I would pay unless I went Alien Bee's all around, which I would LOVE to do one day but well see how long I am around before I spend the money...nice for studio stuff though.

Still for me as a DIY sorta guy the Yongnuo brand offers some nice flashes at a price I am happy with. And now they have a model that supports Canon's E-TTL with a Nikon version due out sometime and hopefully a P-TTL version someday and all at only about $125 shipped apparently with full IR master/slave control...but again, as Mark mentions the trade off is potential failure rates, the cost of shipping the unit back to China (no real US distributors just yet) and support...but if you are DIY handy most of the problems encountered can be fixed yourself, even one with some wads of aluminum foil or copper tape (fixes a button contact issue on the YN460). Yeah, I really am that, errrrr, frugal!! hehehehe....Rx's are spendy these days when ya can't get health insurance of any kind. Naw, that is just an excuse, I really am that cheap!! hehehehe....
07-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What features do you mean? The significant differences I see favour the Sigma 530 Super, i.e. more power and the ability to act as controller for other flashes. Even the higher power flashes like the Pentax 540, Metz 58 and Sigma 530 don't have a lot of power compared to studio lighting, so power is something I value very highly.
Hmm, that's a good question, now that you mention it. I feel like there was some good reason why I chose the Metz over the Sigma, but I can't quite recall right now. I was able to find the Metz 48 on eBay for $200, I believe, which might have been a factor.

I think if I were wanting another flash right now, I would go with the Sigma 530 Super, definitely, because of the controller capability.
07-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Hmm, that's a good question, now that you mention it. I feel like there was some good reason why I chose the Metz over the Sigma, but I can't quite recall right now. I was able to find the Metz 48 on eBay for $200, I believe, which might have been a factor.
I chose it mainly because the Sigma user interface was driving me crazy and because the flash-strobe focus assist on the K10D was setting off the Sigma erroneously. (The Metz flash isn't bothered.) Also related to the flash-strobe: the Metz can do a focus-assist-only mode and the Sigma doesn't. Both of these are irrelevant on the K-7, so it's mostly down to the UI.
07-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I chose it mainly because the Sigma user interface was driving me crazy and because the flash-strobe focus assist on the K10D was setting off the Sigma erroneously. (The Metz flash isn't bothered.) Also related to the flash-strobe: the Metz can do a focus-assist-only mode and the Sigma doesn't. Both of these are irrelevant on the K-7, so it's mostly down to the UI.
Wow, the Sigma interface must be completely awful if you preferred the Metz's!

Matt, do you know if one can somehow adjust the angle of the focus assist light on the Metz? I most often take pictures of my daughter indoors, and so the focus assist often ends up being either too low or too high (can't remember) compared to the center of the image. I thought it might have something to do with setting the lens focal length in the flash UI, but have never actually tested it.

I think the Metz's focus assist light might have been a factor in my purchase, but now that I have had this flash for almost a year, the light doesn't seem to useful, in practice. One of these days I'll get a better focusing screen and just go MF in low light.