Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats the typical flash for a beginner?

Im thinking of getting a Metz58 but someone suggested that ill buy a cheap one first like vivitar 285 hv
If i bought the vivitar what features will i be missing?
or should i get the cheaper metz48 instead?
any advice?

07-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The 285HV is not P-TTL but it is a huge *ss flash!
You have to use it manually reading off the calculations on the guide on the flashe's side.
I don't know anything about the Metz but I am happy with the Tumax brand flashes such as Bower SFD926P, Rokinon, Vivitar DF383, Digital Concepts..all are power zoom and just have different re-brands but all are made by Tumax.
These are P-TTL with optical slave built-in too!
They also have a bulit-in pull-out diffuser and card bouncer.
All it lacks is the wireless capability of the OEM Pentax flashes.
These brands that I mentioned also offer models that have a manual zoom head instead of the power zoom feature or a much lower model with just a bounce (minus the swivel) feature.
With the power zoom feature with bounce and swivel they would cost around $90+ to $120+.
With the manual zoom feature with bounce and swivel they would cost only $80+.
For just the bounce featured models, they are about $50 (mostly Rokinons).
I use this more (Bower SFD926P) than the Vivitar 285HV.
P-TTL is the way to go!
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the Metz 48 after I'd had my K200D (first SLR, digital or not) for two months. It's a good flash, although I must admit I haven't used any others. For my needs, I could not justify the price of the Metz 58 or the Pentax AF 540. Swivel and tilt were big priorities for me, which is why I didn't go with the Pentax AF 360.

It was a toss-up between the Metz 48 and the Sigma EF 530 DG Super, but I decided to go with the Metz for the features, thinking I could bear with a bad user interface if it meant more features. (It's a bit of a hassle to change settings, but almost a year later, I do not regret my purchase.)
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im thinking of getting a Metz58 but someone suggested that ill buy a cheap one first like vivitar 285 hv
If i bought the vivitar what features will i be missing?
or should i get the cheaper metz48 instead?
any advice?
What do you plan on using it for?

07-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am assuming since you are on a Pentax board, that you have a Pentax DSLR. For a beginner, I'd suggest sticking with a flash that speaks Pentax. I'd probably go with the AF360 FGZ. It can be had around $200, and has lots of nice features and decent power. It zooms with your camera, though I don't find that feature as helpful as some.

The AF 360 also does not swivel, but I can't say that I use the swivel on my AF540 FGZ enough that it would be a deciding feature. I used Vivitar 283s for many years on film bodies, and also seldom missed the swivel, but YMMV.
07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My vote goes to the Nikon SB-24. Available used for under $100USD. Works on camera in auto and manual mode and is a great off-camera flash.

Last edited by MPrince; 07-27-2010 at 03:07 PM.
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I vote for the Bower 926P

I got it a few weeks ago as my first flash and it's been wonderful as on on camera flash. I used it yesterday to take pictures of a house for a realtor and without it I would have not been able to get any of the shots, the tilt and swivel head was the clincher. After having both tilt and swivel together I can't imagine having a flash with only one or neither, because I had to precisely aim the flash with tilt and swivel in every single shot, I didn't use direct flash once all day

it's pretty cheap and is P-TTL*, nice power too

*thanks GerryL for pointing that out

Last edited by future_retro; 07-27-2010 at 02:58 PM.
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I vote for the Bower 926P

I got it a few weeks ago as my first flash and it's been wonderful as on on camera flash. I used it yesterday to take pictures of a house for a realtor and without it I would have not been able to get any of the shots, the tilt and swivel head was the clincher. After having both tilt and swivel together I can't imagine having a flash with only one or neither, because I had to precisely aim the flash with tilt and swivel in every single shot, I didn't use direct flash once all day

it's pretty cheap and is TTL, nice power too
I assume this is a typho 'coz it is P-TTL not just TTL.
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I assume this is a typho 'coz it is P-TTL not just TTL.
Thanks for the correction
07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Metz 48 is far better than the Pentax 360 for 2 reasons. 1) It swivels 2) it has more power. I've got one and it's terrific. I use the swivel and tilt feature every single time I use it.

A Metz 58 would be even better if you can afford it. That extra power actually makes a big difference when bouncing as so much light is lost in doing so.

Have a look at this blog, it's the best "how to" on camera flash blog I've ever read.
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I used to have the Pentax AF540G. Turns out I don't really shoot flash, so I recently sold it. Even though I don't use flash I had a little pang of needing one just in case (of what I don't know*), and thought either the Adorama or Bower unit, with tilt and swivel for under $50, would do in a pinch. Then I discovered I had a little Sunpak digital flash (AKA DF20, I think) that has bounce capability and massive power (GN52, auto f4 :-).... I actually used it recently in a military bunker/museum :-)

*even though I don't shoot flash, I got the smallest Canon one for my SX20 (just in case, as well) and used that for 2 shots while on vacation...
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

A Metz 58 would be even better if you can afford it. That extra power actually makes a big difference when bouncing as so much light is lost in doing so.
Of course it is better, but does a "beginner" need to spend $400 for his first flash?

The 48 looks very interesting, though, even though it is a tad more expensive than the cheapest price on the AF360. I'm not sure it is as much more powerful as it looks, since Metz rates the guide number at 105mm and Pentax at 85. However, the swivel and a little bit more power look like they would be worth the price.

If one were not interested in swivel or wireless, the Metz 36 might be a nice starter flash. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the loss of wireless, because I use that mode all the time, but for about $100, or half the price of the AF360 or Metz 48, you get the power of the AF360, bounce and P-TTL.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.
07-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The 48 looks very interesting, though, even though it is a tad more expensive than the cheapest price on the AF360. I'm not sure it is as much more powerful as it looks, since Metz rates the guide number at 105mm and Pentax at 85. However, the swivel and a little bit more power look like they would be worth the price.
At 85mm, the Metz flash has a GN of 43m, which is still 43% more powerful than the Pentax one.

And keep in mind that the flash zoom numbers are quoted in terms of full frame. When you're using a crop sensor, you need to take this into account in a direction which may seem counterintuitive. When they say "85mm", they really mean "the angle covered by a 85mm lens on a 35mm full-frame camera", which is about 24° horizontally. On a 1.5× crop camera (like any Pentax DSLR), a shorter focal length provides the same "wideness". Specifically, 85mm ÷ 1.5 = (about) 57mm. Which means any time you're zoomed in more than that, you benefit from the tighter reflector Metz provides.

Anyway, here's my visualization of the relative power of the two flash units at all of the different flash zoom settings:

(See more flash burst profiles here.)

If one were not interested in swivel or wireless, the Metz 36 might be a nice starter flash. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the loss of wireless, because I use that mode all the time, but for about $100, or half the price of the AF360 or Metz 48, you get the power of the AF360, bounce and P-TTL.
Ditto on the wireless, and on the Metz 36 AF-4. (I've never used the latter, but am very impressed with Metz as a company.)
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
What do you plan on using it for?
For portraits indoor, to practice on studio lighting maybe 2-3 lighting, and its good that you can
use it outdoors too.
07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course it is better, but does a "beginner" need to spend $400 for his first flash?

The Metz48 can be used as wireless slave right? you need the built in flash to trigger it am i right?
Im still interested on the metz58, whats the disadvantage of this flash? anyone owns it and regreted after?