Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax manual wireless flash?

Hi, i've just been commissioned to shoot another models portfolio, and this time i'd rather shoot it on location so i'm having to invest in some flashes

I hear that pentax does wireless flash, but by wireless does it mean built it radio/optical trigger, or just triggering using the onboard flash?

My camera is an ist dl, so I guess it can't do anything wireless

if the newer pentax cameras can do true radio wireless then I might invest in a kx, but if it still has to be done using onboard flash trigger then i'm better off sticking with my DL and getting some

my lenses are fully manual, so a TTL flash is going to be no good for me, so I was thinking i'd get some old school flash units are set all the exposures manually (which isn't a problem for me), i've read so much about flash today that I think my brain is going to explode

08-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
Hi, i've just been commissioned to shoot another models portfolio, and this time i'd rather shoot it on location so i'm having to invest in some flashes

I hear that pentax does wireless flash, but by wireless does it mean built it radio/optical trigger, or just triggering using the onboard flash?

My camera is an ist dl, so I guess it can't do anything wireless

if the newer pentax cameras can do true radio wireless then I might invest in a kx, but if it still has to be done using onboard flash trigger then i'm better off sticking with my DL and getting some

my lenses are fully manual, so a TTL flash is going to be no good for me, so I was thinking i'd get some old school flash units are set all the exposures manually (which isn't a problem for me), i've read so much about flash today that I think my brain is going to explode
I don't think the DL supports wireless. Also, you are confusing TTL for P-TTL. TTL will work with manual lenses. However, only the *ist D, DS and DS2 support TTL. You will need a 3rd party system.
08-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't think the DL supports wireless. Also, you are confusing TTL for P-TTL. TTL will work with manual lenses. However, only the *ist D, DS and DS2 support TTL. You will need a 3rd party system.

I get what p-ttl is, with the preflash and everything, but I thought TTL was automatic exposure- and how can that work when the camera doesn't know what aperture you're using (but then I guess it doesn't matter as you do stop down metering)? I know this will be easier to get to grips with when I actually have a flash unit to play with...

The strobist forum recommends nikon speedlights, so I was thinking 2 of those would do the job (sb 24's), I guess i'll have to get a wireless trigger too, if I can't trigger with the onboard flash?

basically i've got a week to buy all this gear, learn to use it and shoot the model- I don't have the time or the money to buy the wrong thing so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be massively beneficial

Last edited by clark; 08-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The problem is, your DL doesn't support TTL flash system. Therefore, you will need a 3rd party system. Here are some examples and I am by no means endorsing these and am using these strictly as examples.

Interfit Strobies iSync 4 Wireless Transmitter/Receiver STR130 -

Seculine TwinLink T2D Wireless Flash Trigger Set TWINLINK - B&H

For more information, see this Thread and Poll.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/33907-wha...o-you-use.html

08-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The problem is, your DL doesn't support TTL flash system. Therefore, you will need a 3rd party system. Here are some examples and I am by no means endorsing these and am using these strictly as examples.

Interfit Strobies iSync 4 Wireless Transmitter/Receiver STR130 -

Seculine TwinLink T2D Wireless Flash Trigger Set TWINLINK - B&H

For more information, see this Thread and Poll.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/33907-wha...o-you-use.html
thanks

so any wireless flash triggering unit, like the £10 ones on ebay, or a pocket wizard will work? How does wireless work on the newer pentax cameras, the k7 etc, is this just triggered with the on camera flash? Doesn't that effect the image though? or is there a delay between the on camera flash and the external flashes/shutter

also, I see that the canon 7d has a wireless transmitter built into it that works with the on camera flash (and has controls to allow the delay), but I guess this only works with canon speedlights, and they're expensive...

Last edited by clark; 08-03-2010 at 03:37 PM.
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
thanks

so any wireless flash triggering unit, like the £10 ones on ebay, or a pocket wizard will work? How does wireless work on the newer pentax cameras, the k7 etc, is this just triggered with the on camera flash? Doesn't that effect the image though? or is there a delay between the on camera flash and the external flashes/shutter

also, I see that the canon 7d has a wireless transmitter built into it that works with the on camera flash (and has controls to allow the delay), but I guess this only works with canon speedlights, and they're expensive...
The wireless capable Pentax bodies can use the on board flash as the controller. They use a very low level flash to communicate with the slave flashes. Slave capable flashes are required such as the Pentax AF 360 or 540 GZ or 3rd Party flash from Metz, Sigma,etc. that is wireless p-ttl capable. These flashes aren't triggered like the old photo-cells. There is more than 1 channel available. The only *ist series that supports W is the D.
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The wireless capable Pentax bodies can use the on board flash as the controller. They use a very low level flash to communicate with the slave flashes. Slave capable flashes are required such as the Pentax AF 360 or 540 GZ or 3rd Party flash from Metz, Sigma,etc. that is wireless p-ttl capable. These flashes aren't triggered like the old photo-cells. There is more than 1 channel available. The only *ist series that supports W is the D.
ok, so i'm 99% sure i'm going to use wireless trigger units rather than any sort of in camera thing, I guess that's a more flexible setup as you can use it (without TTL) with any brand of camera, the flash units are cheaper, and i'm still not convinced that i'm not going to buy a canon 5d when my loan comes in

thanks blue, that cleared a few things up