Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunpak Dmacro Ring Flash

Does anyone have experience with this device. See 0813 Sunpak Dmacro Ringlight Flash for Digital SLR Cameras for more details. It appears to be a useful alternative to the Orbis or Rayflash adapters for not-a-lot-more-money.

Feedback?

Thanks,

Sig

08-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Disclaimer: I don't have that particular flash unit. So below are my feelings, I have nothing to back up:

1. Sunpak does not have dedicated module for Pentax DSLRs that supports p-TTL.

2. If the dedicated module for Pentax DSLR did exist, you'd have to buy it extra. That plus the cost of $270 for the flash would push the price nearer to that of the Pentax ringflash AF160FC (about $450).

3. Without p-TTL support, this flash is essentially the same as the Sunpak DX-8R, which I have a copy of. If you are patient and lucky, you can find a used copy for much less than $270. This is an example.
08-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip

Thanks, Bear!

I'm thinking that one of the SunPak ring lights would be easier to hand hold than the Orbis or Ray-Flash. Probably more compact, too. These devices cost $200 and you're buying the design, mostly...otherwise they're just a few ounces of plastic.

Sig
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agree with SOldbear.

I snagged a Sunpak DX-8R off fleabay about a month ago for $40 plus shipping. It didn't have a module, but I discovered that KEH has the Pentax one NOS for $13. Still doesn't get you P-TTL, but I'm impressed with the flash even in manual mode with the limited testing I've done. Great results out in front of my FA 50mm macro, on the K-7.

08-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, WiseOx

I appreciate your input and will look into one of these units. I generally do everything with flash (and most things without) in manual mode, anyway.

Sig