Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 and AF540 fill flash

HI Guys

trying to get my head around this so hopefully some of you can give some feedback.

Reading about using flash for fill, and what i read says to expose for the background - reduce by 2 stops and use flash to fill. Right so if i have the flash on the camera, and i press the green button - it always sets the shutter speed to suit the flash (like 1/60 or 1/180 ), so the question is how do i do the above.

Short of turning the flash off and using manual to set the speed etc then turngin the flash back on - i cant work it out

any advise here??

thanks

08-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.
You have a P-TTL flash on a P-TTL capable camera - the whole idea of P-TTL is to be an automatic fill-flash, so you don't have to fiddle around with settings to get adequate fill exposure on your subject. Theoretically.

We all know that P-TTL is not the most accurate system, but it does a reasonable job. Try it out: set the flash to HSS (to allow for the ability to expose for the background), leave the flash in P-TTL mode at 0EV on camera and flash, then shoot a shaded subject and see the fill-flash effect in your results. Should work out OK.

The method you explained above is more working from first principles, which is fine as well, but assumes you use the flash in manual/auto mode.
08-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe that you'll want to reduce the intensity of the flash itself. Set it to -2 and you should be all set.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually set mine to -1.5. I just find that ratio of fill flash to be more aesthetically pleasing.

08-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies......ok ill give it a shot.

second question is i played around the other night and tried adjusting the flash compensation on both the flash and camera - neither seems to make a blind bit of difference to the finished photo, the histograms were almost identical......am i missing something here?
08-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They should both be adjusting the flash's intensity - unless you've already maxxed out the flash.
It'll be more obvious if you're not in HSS mode and have a not too small aperture.
08-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe that you'll want to reduce the intensity of the flash itself. Set it to -2 and you should be all set.
This works fine if there is at least some light falling on the shaded subject with a bright backdrop. A totally shaded subject will still be underexposed if -2EV fill is used, so some consideration may be required to get the right result.

08-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ash you are exactly right - the flash was maxed out already - going +1 on the compensation made now difference but going - (1 or 2 etc) did, so because i was bouncing the flash i was maxed out.

i cant beleive how much there is involved in flash photography
08-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
G'day mate.
You have a P-TTL flash on a P-TTL capable camera - the whole idea of P-TTL is to be an automatic fill-flash, so you don't have to fiddle around with settings to get adequate fill exposure on your subject. Theoretically.

We all know that P-TTL is not the most accurate system, but it does a reasonable job. Try it out: set the flash to HSS (to allow for the ability to expose for the background), leave the flash in P-TTL mode at 0EV on camera and flash, then shoot a shaded subject and see the fill-flash effect in your results. Should work out OK.

The method you explained above is more working from first principles, which is fine as well, but assumes you use the flash in manual/auto mode.
Ash, thanks for the info. I'll try and see what I come up with.