Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When Do You Use Flash?

I'm goin to be a photographer in my school for sporting events/clubs/etc. as opposed to shooting on my own, which is mostly nature/macros/some street shooting. I was just wondering, in what circumstances do you all use flash? Is it only when shooting (for the most part) events/people in lowlight conditions? Or dyou use them more commonly in other aspects of photography as well?

08-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Never, if I can avoid it.
08-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use it indoors (less so, since I have the K-x) and for fill against a brightly lit sky or other background. Actually, there are many uses. This is a rather broad question.
08-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I use it indoors (less so, since I have the K-x) and for fill against a brightly lit sky or other background. Actually, there are many uses. This is a rather broad question.
I meant for it to be broad; dyou have a list of examples? I'm considering getting a Metz 48, but I'm just not sure if I'd be able to put it to good use - I've only ever used my flash as a fill for taking pictures of my friends.

08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest getting a book on the subject.

And I agree with the posters above - try to avoid using it, and use it on the occasion that need it :-)

Probably the biggest tip I have is to bounce it off something like a white wall or ceiling or even a clip-on diffuser rather than aiming it directly resulting in harsh light and shadows. That requires more power, so there is that consideration.
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Read www.strobist.com

Specifically: Strobist: Lighting 101

Then: Strobist: Lighting 102: Introduction

Then read the On Assignment archives.

It's structured to off-camera flash, but all of the principles apply to on-camera as well.