Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sooo, does it work in wireless mode like the AF-540?

08-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

In the 58 AF1 is it worth upgrading the firmware to v 1.1?
Pentax / Samsung
exe mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital Pentax V1.1 Win -
Firmware V1.1 (released 30/12/2009)
Optimizations:
1st Improve the exposure in Zweitreflektorbetrieb.
2nd Start pulse for remote master operation of second and moved to the main reflector.
3rd Tastenweiterschaltung for parameter values.
Modified on 24/02/2010:
Additional driver software for Windows Vista and 7
(3.1 MB)
Download time: Analog Modem about 11 minutes, about 7 min ISDN, DSL min about <1
08-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
In the 58 AF1 is it worth upgrading the firmware to v 1.1?
If you use the second reflector, or use wireless P-TTL, definitely. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt. (And as with Pentax, who knows if they've fixed some things which didn't make the list.)
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #19

It looks like there is a few more models to be added to the line... I am curious about how much of a step down the 44 will be from the current 48 at the end of the day (aside from the obvious power)... I will soon have to decide between the 44, the discounted 48 (assuming the 50 drives the price down), or the 50....

Google Translate

09-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bob_00 Quote
It looks like there is a few more models to be added to the line... I am curious about how much of a step down the 44 will be from the current 48 at the end of the day (aside from the obvious power)... I will soon have to decide between the 44, the discounted 48 (assuming the 50 drives the price down), or the 50....

Google Translate
Cool! Thanks for the pointer — I'd missed that. English-language press releases at
Press Releases Photo Electronics: Metz
09-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like the 36 AF-5 adds a flip-down wide-angle diffuser, which was missing from the 36 AF-4. Other than that, apparently just style changes — it appears to retain the "old" plastic hotshoe mount, for example.

The 24 AF-1 is interesting because it has a basic 90° bounce — something Pentax should copy for an AF200FG replacement!

The 44 AF-1 is very interesting, though — tilt and swivel, and wireless slave mode.

I wonder how the prices will turn out. This might mean the 50 AF-1 will push up from the price of the 48 AF-1, which would be unfortunate. If, on the other hand, the 44 AF-1 comes in sub-$200, wow.
12-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Inactive Account

The 58 AF-2 is on sale now at BHPhoto.

12-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #23

Anyone know why the Servo funtion isn't available for the Pentax Version (according to the Metz website)?
12-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hee. Cool, Matt. Finally got that 36 AF-4 for the holidays, by the way: seems to be filling my little small-flash niche OK, performing all right for what it is. The automation seems generally agreeable, at least . I think we'll get along.

Pushes through a pretty dense cheapo fabric diffuser I happen to have had around and still seems to blaze along pretty happily at the power levels I need. (Better recycling than I was necessarily expecting: probably means I'm not hitting full power much.

Do think the flash foot could be better-made, even if they had to go with plastic, the casting could really be better. The rest seems like nice quality.

Surprised the new models aren't out here by now: couldn't wait for the teeny one to arrive on the market, anyway, but maybe one day for something really pocket-sized. (I notice your Amazon store has the little 'Tumax' (Rokinon) there, hadn't noticed it. Nice store, by the way. )
12-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
Anyone know why the Servo funtion isn't available for the Pentax Version (according to the Metz website)?
Metz tech support says that since all current Pentax models can use the on-board flash as a wireless P-TTL controller, there was no need. I pointed out that it'd still be useful for manual modes and etc., but got no answer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hee. Cool, Matt. Finally got that 36 AF-4 for the holidays, by the way: seems to be filling my little small-flash niche OK, performing all right for what it is. The automation seems generally agreeable, at least . I think we'll get along.
Cool, thanks for the report!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Surprised the new models aren't out here by now: couldn't wait for the teeny one to arrive on the market, anyway, but maybe one day for something really pocket-sized. (I notice your Amazon store has the little 'Tumax' (Rokinon) there, hadn't noticed it. Nice store, by the way. )
Yeah, I'm in the midst of getting the whole site updated -- more when I get back from vacation.
12-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #26

Mattdm -

Another quick one - does the 58 AF-2 work in Manual Mode when wireless?
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have few questions:

Which features are supported and how with 58 AF-2 coupled with K-x? I just bought one and noticed that the different flash modes work when changing them on the camera itself - but changing the flash EV on the camera doesn't seem to have any affect. I'm wondering what else is like this.

Another thing - the manual says:
"A broken (— — —) beep signal directly after a shot indicates that the shot
was correctly exposed"

I hear three broken beeps when I set the ISO too high. The manual doesn't mention this. I take it that it's a overexposure warning saince if I do take a pic, the turn out very bright... or well, no biggie, but...

The manual also says:
" If no beep signal sounds, then the shot was underexposed" - but what about overexposure? :P

If I do overexpose, I get two quick beeps. The manual doesn't mention this either.

These aren't really (big) issues, but a first timer like me gets confused quickly. I've so far found 2 things missing from the manual after just a day with the flash.

Something I've been wondering about: how does the flash meter how much power is needed - say I point the flash, or the meter rather - towards a dark wall, but the flash itself is turned upwards so it can bounce off the bright ceiling. Id suspect such situation to result in a very underexposed lighting (wrong metering + loss of light because of bouncing), but it doesn't seem to be the case at all. Instead I've been getting pretty much perfect to slightly overexposed results in both P-TTL and Auto modes.

These are probably just some beginnerish questions - I do like the power the flash is putting out, and despite what I've read, I don't find the menu system cumbersome.. well, ok, that was the AF-1
03-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Just read portion of the manual again - it says the flash stops flashing when in Auto mode and it has archived enough light for a correct exposure.. neat!

Something I forgot earlier: related to power output. the manual warns about full power flashes. How do I know when I'm using full power with each flash? It's a no brainer in manual mode, but the other ones are auto, so how can I tell when to watch out? the manual only states to be carefull and let it cool down.. not how to look for it.