Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Metz models!

Metz introduces Mecablitz 58 AF-2 and 50 AF-1 flashguns: Digital Photography Review

Aw man — now I have to update my flash guide.

08-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wonderful developments!
...thanks for sharing
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like dpreview is confused about the naming scheme, though. The 50 AF-1 also adds the feature they say is represented by the AF-2 designation. I think it's just that the increase in guide number "resets" the sub-model count back to one for the 50 AF-1, but since that stayed the same for the 58 model while other things changed, it became the AF-2.

Dpreview describes that feature as "now act as a wireless flash master for cameras without a built-in master", but that's not what the text of the press release says. It appears to be actually a "smart slave" mode, where the remote flash is triggered even without optical wireless TTL. (See their earlier use of the term "servo mode".) But from the press relese on Metz's site, that feature may not be implemented for Pentax. It's unclear why it would be brand specific, but the 58 AF-2 press release says "Camera-specific servo flash mode (only for Canon, Nikon, Olympus)". I've e-mailed Metz for clarification.

Anyway, highlights include:
  • slightly more power for the lower model
  • metal hot-shoe connector, with new fast lock system
  • "performance and reliability" improvements
  • wider wide-angle diffuser panel
  • on the 58 AF-2, wireless sensor moved to the front (!)
08-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you also ask if they fixed the wireless HSS in master bug in the new 58 AF-2? Is servo just an optical slave like S2 on the Pentax flashes?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-20-2010 at 10:44 AM.
08-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Anybody know where to buy one of these? I've checked B&H and Adorama, but nothing there yet.

Also, what are the improvements over the AF-1? I'm not sure I completely understand the 'servo mode' improvement.

Could someone point me to a forum discussion about the functions and examples of use for this and the other flashes (540, 360, 7500...)

Thanks
08-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Did you also ask if they fixed the wireless HSS in master bug in the new 58 AF-2? Is servo just an optical slave like S2 on the Pentax flashes?
I haven't asked yet but I will.

The servo mode appears to be exactly like that, but according to Metz, it isn't available on the Pentax model — the reasoning given is that Pentax (and Sony) have wireless TTL flash control on all of their current models. I replied pointing out that it'd still be useful in many cases, like when using manual lenses. We'll see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Anybody know where to buy one of these? I've checked B&H and Adorama, but nothing there yet.
It's just announced. I e-mailed Manfrotto Distribution (formerly Bogen Imaging), the U.S. distributor for Metz asking about availability, but I'm not holding my breath for an answer — they're more of a call-and-ask kinda place rather than an e-mail savvy company. If I haven't heard back by next week I'll call.

Also, what are the improvements over the AF-1?
See the list in my first post in this thread.

Could someone point me to a forum discussion about the functions and examples of use for this and the other flashes (540, 360, 7500...)
My flash guide might be some help.....
08-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #7

Matt I've read your guide and refer to it occasionally (thank you for that by the way). I'm still a bit confused on the terminology and applications of some of the modes and functions of flash photography. I know what wireless means, but don't really know the difference between slave, ttl, p-ttl and automatic, etc. I need a book or paper on the functions of flash photography and their evolution. The manuals don't go far enough for me to get a working knowledge.

08-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Should I hold my purchases for 58 AF-1 and wait for AF-2 to hit the local stores?
08-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #9

That's what I'm trying to find out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
Should I hold my purchases for 58 AF-1 and wait for AF-2 to hit the local stores?
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see these flashes improved, but the number one thing we need is a rubberised exterior with weather-sealing. Features we already have in spades.

P.S. Your initial link does not work.
08-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
P.S. Your initial link does not work.
Dpreview seems to have pulled their article, hopefully because enough people pointed out the erroneous summary.
08-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

awwww! I just recently purchased the AF-1! But having the wireless sensor on the front is going to be great! And the initial link is still working =)
08-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes please let me know when these turn up online for sale somewhere, (I have seen the B&H thread) as the next item on my list is a Metz 58-AF1 (I now mean AF-2) assuming the price is similar.
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link_1111 Quote
And the initial link is still working =)
They put a corrected version of the blurb back up at the same link.
08-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sweet! There was always something rather unnatural to me about there being no previous-model flashes for my Pentax...