Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

How do I mount a Bower Flash to a light stand?

I am new to photography and just bought a Bower SFD926P digital autofocus flash for my Pentax K200 camera and I wanted to mount it to a light stand. Was just about to buy a umbrella lightstand with the flash shoe mount swivel bracket attached and was wondering if those are just for studio monolight flashes or if they work for regular camera flashes as well.

I know it probably sounds like a silly question but it would seem the electrical connection at the bottom of my flash would need some sort of adapter to keep them safe. Do I need an additional adapter for the electrical connection at the bottom of the flash?

Thanks so much for the help

Mollie

08-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your swivel adapter has a shoe mount on it, you are good to go.

The shoe is usually not a problem. You aren't going to short anything out on your flash. The worst thing that can happen is that your flash might keep triggering. A bit of electrical tape on the shoe will fix that.

Take a look here for more details about using flash off camera: Strobist: Lighting 101
08-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the Bower does not have a flash sync cable port so you would need a hot shoe adapter to sync with the camera's hot shoe or a wireless trigger. Adding this between the flash and the hot shoe swivel mount would automatically isolate the contacts from any metal on the swivel mount.
Looks like a good bargain. I might have to get one for myself as well.
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys! AOShep where would I order the hot shoe adapter? from Bower ? Or is it just a generic adapter that you can get anywhere ? Was also going to buy the Cowboy Studio NPT-04 4 channel Wireless Hotshoe Flash Trigger Receiver $22.45 @ Amazon to use with it. Would that fill the bill so I wouldn't have to get anything else? I am hoping the Flash trigger fits the Bower as it is not listed but says it fits Pentax so I figure if the Bower flash fits the Pentax camera it will fit too??

Thanks Alohadave for the link! and the info I am taking a photography class starting tomorrow so hopefully that will help too.

Thanks!
Mollie

08-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
As a followup I just went back on Amazon and they have a Bower Hot Shoe to PC flash adapter without cord model # SF943 for $ 7.43. Would that work?

Thanks so much for any help

Mollie