Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bell & Howell flash

Hello Everybody
Has anyone ever heard of, or used a Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Digital Autofocus Power Zoom P-TTL Flash for Pentax? I found this on http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Z680AF-P-Digital-Autofocus/dp/B003THBMQ2/r...4156814&sr=1-1 amazon for $99.95.
Here are some specs;
FLASH FEATURES:
• Full automatic P-TTL operation
• Zoom, Bounce and Swivel Head
• Built-In Diffuser and Reflector Panel
• Zoom coverage from 24mm to 85mm
• IGBT circuitry
• Front and Rear Curtain Synchronization
• Auto Check Indicator
• Red AF assistance beam
• Auto Power Saving function
• Wireless Slave Flash capability
• Economically powered by four AA-size batteries

Last edited by jonhock; 09-10-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: the link went to the flash "kit" which cost more than buying just the flash.
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Never heard of it, but if it supports P-TTL, then it'll certainly work with full automation on Pentax DSLRs.

If you buy it, could you add it to our accessory database? Pentax Camera Accessories - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Hello Everybody
Has anyone ever heard of, or used a Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Digital Autofocus Power Zoom P-TTL Flash for Pentax? I found this on Amazon for $99.95.
There's a less powerful (and less expensive) model too, the Z480AF-P Digital Autofocus Zoom P-TTL for $67.95 seen here: Amazon

Last edited by les3547; 09-10-2010 at 01:57 PM.
09-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Giving it some serious thought...

Adam, if I do get one I will definitely add it to the accessory reviews.
Les, I looked at the cheaper one but all I could see on the back of it is an ON/OFF switch. I'm wondering what's up with that?
I'm gonna look further into it to be sure.

09-10-2010, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
more icorp/tumax

So far, every P-TTL flash that isn't Pentax, Promaster, Sigma, or Metz appears to be made by Hong Kong OEM Icorp. See their own-branded versions here:

TUMAX

I need to overhaul that section of my flash guide to reflect this.

Many people report being very happy with these flashes. They're also pretty cheaply made, and you can find plenty of reports of them breaking. And I can't help but notice that despite identical appearance, the guide numbers they're sold as having are all over the map. It's probable that Icorp offers different variants, but it's also possible that different importers are exaggerating to different degrees.

I also have never been able to get a question answered by one of these importers or by Icorp directly, with the exception that one time Sakar did send me a scan of the manual for their version. (All my other messages and even phone calls went unanswered.)

My take is that it's kind of a gamble. I'd rather get a Metz 36 AF-4 (about $110), Promaster 7200EDF (about $140), or a Sigma EF530 DG ST (about $150), and have a solid company behind my purchase.

Sure, you can save a few bucks in the short term, but long-term (or medium-term!) it can end up being more expensive.
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Les, I looked at the cheaper one but all I could see on the back of it is an ON/OFF switch. I'm wondering what's up with that?
You zoom by physically moving the head. Exposure is all controlled by P-TTL with no on-flash override options (FEC on the body will probably work.) So an on/off switch is all you need.

I'm guessing it's this model:

TUMAX
09-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Better choices

Thanks Matt. That pretty much settles whether I'll be buying one. Not.
I'll have to narrow down my flash search from "anything P-TTL" to "reliable P-TTL",
considering the small price difference. I had thought that the Bell & Howell flash would be worth looking into considering how long the name has been around.

Last edited by jonhock; 09-10-2010 at 09:47 PM.