Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF 160-FC ring flash for portraits?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience using the current macro flash for portrait work?
Or how it would compare to the likes of these ring flashes:

ring flash

I like the idea of the option of having totally flat light. obviously the AF-160FC is smaller, and assuming the 400W of the other would be a lot higher output. Wondering if anyone has experience using either style for portrait work.

The bigger unit isnt that much more expensive to buy here in Australia!

09-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I like the idea, but as you're getting at in your post, the Pentax ring flash just isn't powerful enough. True, it'll accomplish soft light, but I think a diffuser on a regular flash would do the same.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK
I havent seen the 160 flash in the flesh so couldnt really tell what it was like (even if the guide number was 16).

Ive got various diffusers for my 540, but its still going to have shadows cast in direction from the overhead flash, whereas the ring flash would be quite a different effect.

so speaking of standard flashes, anyone ever tried these to turn a normal flash gun to a ring-style flash?
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
OK
so speaking of standard flashes, anyone ever tried these to turn a normal flash gun to a ring-style flash?
Interested in that as well, so free bump!

09-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF-160 and similar ring flashes sold for Pentax are intended for macro and product photography use. Generally they are too puny for portraits. The larger ring flashes like the Alien Bees are what one uses for portraits.

That said, I've had some fun with my Sigma ring flash and people's faces. But the effects are not for everyone.
Here's one of my daughter:

Those ring light adapters for an external flash can work quite well for portrait work. Ray Flash is one brand that is considered good, but AFAIK they only fit Canon and NIkon flashguns. Strobist tested a couple of these a year or two ago, so do some research there.

Hope this helps.

M
09-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Those ring light adapters for an external flash can work quite well for portrait work. Ray Flash is one brand that is considered good, but AFAIK they only fit Canon and NIkon flashguns. Strobist tested a couple of these a year or two ago, so do some research there.

Hope this helps.

M
Thanks

the orbis looks like another possibility:

The orbis? ring flash: Easy, TTL shadowless light for strobists | Home of the Orbis Ring Flash
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might as well add this comparison video from SportsShooter.

M