Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Flash for a Beginner?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey all, I've been thinking pretty hard on getting a flash to help out my indoor people shots, as while taping aluminum foil to my camera is a workable solution to use my popup flash with, it does have some pretty severe limitations, such as working distance, room size, etc. So I've found some good/decent local deals as well as the more conventional options, and now I'm looking for some help to decide which'd be best for me:

Vivitar 730 AF P $65
Pentax AF-330 FTZ $30
Pentax AF-400 FTZ $70-80

These're the local deals, and I'd pounce, but after some reading, I found out that these're TTL flashes, which won't work or something with my k-x? Enlighten me if otherwise; I'm pretty noob with this. But yeah, except for the 330, I love that they can rotate/swivel - bounce flash is about the only thing I really know how to do. And I guess fill flash, ish.

And then my other choice would be the Metz 48, or its replacement the Metz 50 (?). Obviously, it's much more expensive, but it has P-TTL flash.

Which leads into my other question - how do I meter for bounce flashing? Or does P-TTL/flashes with auto modes do it for me? Also, I've heard some talk about how auto >>>>> P-ttl in that people have had pretty inconsistent results with P-TTL metering, what's the deal with that?

09-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't buy any of the models you listed.

None of them supports p-TTL.

None of them has its own light sensor for auto mode.
09-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #3

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have the Metz 48, great flash. It doesn't have the full auto thing but does have p-TTL and I find that it works pretty well in most situations I have used it in & I find it pretty easy to use. The new 50 model would be better though. The 58 has auto mode but costs a bit more.
09-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely a bounce/swivel P-TTL flash.
Metz 48 is a good start and a reliable flash.
Other 3rd party options are also OK like the Promaster, but ultimately, the best would be a Metz 58, a Pentax 540 or a Sigma EF530 Super.
Have a look at mattdm's definitive guide on flashes: The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
All the best in your decision.

09-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Unless budget is a big concern, I've always failed to see the connection between 'Beginner' and less than fully compatible. I tend to get fairly consistent results with my 360 and 540 flashes. Swivel is nice to have if you want to do Portrait mode and/or bounce the flash off of a wall or the ceiling. In the case of the Pentax options, that would rule out the 360.

With every Metz I've ever owned, I've been completely satisfied. The 58 does a lot of things I wish the P540 did. Particularly that nice little fill flash on the front. The Metz 50 name has been used already btw (Metz 50mz5). It's a handle mount flash with a remote (wired) controller that mounts on the shoe. It's standard batteries (proprietary) are good for about 70 full power firings (that's where they're rated).

If your goal, is to simply light up faces in a dim room, any of your list will do the trick. I would actually suggest going less expensive however. A Sunpak MZ440AF PT will do everything you need, for pennies compared to your list. You'll have an AF assist lamp, tilt and swivel. The only thing you won't have, is P-TTL. To use this flash (or any other non pttl), simply set the ISO and the Aperture on the flash (in Auto mode), and fire away. When you change either on the camera, do so on the flash and you'll be good to go.

09-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
A Sunpak MZ440AF PT will do everything you need, for pennies compared to your list. You'll have an AF assist lamp, tilt and swivel. The only thing you won't have, is P-TTL. To use this flash (or any other non pttl), simply set the ISO and the Aperture on the flash (in Auto mode), and fire away. When you change either on the camera, do so on the flash and you'll be good to go.
I don't think the MZ440AF has auto mode. It will fire at full power when attached to any Pentax K-series DSLR.
09-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Well, I dug mine out to prove you wrong, but you are correct. There is an Auto-OK light on the back panel but the flash fires full all the time. The Auto function must require a TTL camera to work properly (like the MZ-S it came with). The flash is usable if you pay heed to the ISO/FL/Aperture/distance scales on the back but it will not adjust output. The AF assist works, and it is a tilt swivel.