Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the dedicated Metz flashes fully compatible with current Pentax DSLRs?

Is anyone using the Metz 48AF-1 or 58AF-1 with a Pentax K-7 or K-x? Are they fully compatible? Any comparability issues?

Thanks,

Eric

09-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, they should be- check our accessory reviews: Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
GSk
Inactive Account

I have the Metz 58AF-1 flash. Use it both HotShoe and remote (together with my Pentax flashes). No problems encountered.
09-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Also check out this great flash guide - The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
Make sure you click on a Google ad or two to say thanks to Matt.
Though he is yet to update it with the just released Metz.

09-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm very pleased with my Metz 48/K7 combo. I'm not a heavy flash user but I definitely prefer it to the Pentax AF360's I had. If you go Metz, though, I would get one of the newer models with the metal hot-shoe mount. I haven't had any problems with my plastic mount, but I would definitely prefer the metal. Frankly, though, I wouldn't buy any flash right now. Pentax is supposed to be coming out with a new one soon, so I would wait and see what that's about.
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The Metz 58 AF-1 has a bug in the firmware that prevents it from being able to do HSS in wireless. This wasn't fixed with the firmware updates done this year and Matt hasn't gotten confirmation that the new AF-2 has this resolved. In general however, incapability isn't an issue as the flashes have a USB port for updates. If there is a need for new firmware, you download it, connect the flash to the computer, and a few minutes later the flash is on the latest version of firmware.

Thank you
Russell
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

the Metz 48 works perfectly with Km/Kx, BUT: k-5 p-TTL is inconsistent with the unit.

My second (replacement for the stained sensor body) K5 has the same inconsistent p-TTL metering as the first with my one year old Metz 48 which works perfectly with Km and Kx bodies. Metz guys say that they are working on the issue jointly with Pentax and that Pentax admitted that it was not Metz's fault.

I quote the response from Metz:

Dear Mr Kriviniouk,

Thank you for your e-mail

Please be informed, the digital camera "Pentax K-5" is intensively tested yet by our company's developing department (laboratory) with original flash units from Pentax, e.g. "Pentax AF-540FGZ", and also with the flash units of our product range. The digital camera "Pentax K-5" is also intensively tested yet with the flash unit "mecablitz 48 AF-1 P digital".

In principle, in full automatic "P-TTL flash control mode" flash unit's flash light output intensity is only determined by the camera (e.g. "Pentax K-5") and not by any external flash unit in camera's hot shoe. Full automatic P-TTL flash control flash light output intensity is not determined by external original Pentax flash units and not determined by external Metz flash units in camera's hot shoe.

The engineers of our company's developing department (laboratory) found out that there are really problems with the full automatic "Pentax P-TTL flash light control" with the camera "Pentax K-5" and any external flash units. However, these problems are also known by running the camera "Pentax K-5" with original Pentax flash units, e.g. "Pentax AF-540FGZ". For this reason, the mentioned problems in full automatic "Pentax P-TTL flash light control" are caused by the camera "Pentax K-5" and not by any external flash units.

Please be informed, many users of the camera "Pentax K-5" and even original Pentax flash units, e.g. "Pentax AF-540FGZ", also complain about these problems with "Pentax P-TTL flash light control".

To have these problems with full automatic "Pentax P-TTL flash light control" solved, in first line the camera's "Pentax K-5" firmware needs an update. We do not recommend any flash unit for this type of camera until camera's firmware problems are solved. For this reason the digital camera "Pentax K-5" is also not mentioned in the recommendations on our homepage:
http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...endations.html

We regret to have no other information for you and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG
Ohmstra?e 55, D-90513 Zirndorf

eMail: wolfgang.becker@metz.de
Internet: Home: Metz

Sitz Zirndorf, AG F?rth HRA 5766
phG: Metz-Werke Verwaltungs-GmbH
Sitz Zirndorf, AG F?rth HRB 3283