Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
suggestions please: what to do with obsolete flash models in my guide?

When I started my flash guide, drawing the line at "supports P-TTL" ruled out most older flashes. But now, there's new models from both Metz and Sigma. These models clearly replace existing ones, rather than adding to the lineup. And even though the rumor of new Pentax flashes in 2011 is kind of soft, they must update them eventually. So, I'm thinking about how to best handle this.

I can just add the new flashes in and leave the old ones there. That's nice for comparison when thinking about upgrading, and for the used market, but it's going to tend towards clutter and adds unnecessary confusion.

I could add an obsolete models section to each entry throughout the guide. That makes for a lot of sections, though.

Or, I could add a whole obsolete-models section. That's got some organizational appeal, but it does make old-vs-new comparison hard.

Another question of course is "when is it obsolete"? No longer sold at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc? No longer updated for compatibility by the maker?

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

09-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first option the best as an aid to the used market, and for completeness.

My second choice would be the whole obsolete-models section.

Last edited by Ole; 09-21-2010 at 06:58 PM.
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I could add an obsolete models section to each entry throughout the guide. That makes for a lot of sections, though.
If they still work with Pentax cameras, and still do P-TTL, then they aren't obsolete. They aren't made or sold by the maker, but still function correctly and are available on the secondary market (eBay, CL) for budget conscious shooters.
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

"Obsolete" implies they are no longer compatible with the current generation bodies, which they are. I would leave them all together.

Not all of us buy all our gear brand new.

09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'd definitely leave em all up there: you could always add a note that says 'Discontinued' or something.
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Leaving them is first preference, but as you say, my get very cluttered. If you're a web maestro you have the ol' "select to compare with" button, but that sounds very tricky to the likes of me.

A discontinued section would be next best I think.
09-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Add me to the list for leaving them there. So they aren't the latest and greatest. How many people are still buying K10d, K20d, (shortly) K7, etc? Good info on out of production items is sometimes a real pain in the ass to find..

09-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Good info on out of production items is sometimes a real pain in the ass to find..

As the owner of a Kodak Medalist and a Yashica Electro 35, I can attest to this.

09-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
As the owner of a Kodak Medalist and a Yashica Electro 35, I can attest to this.

Medalist 1 or 2? I use to have a US Navy Medalist 1 but let it go for non-use. Couldn't get use to the 6x9 negatives being use to the 6x6 of the Rolleiflex. Talk about built like a tank! I think I have an Electro 35 laying around here somewhere too..

09-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
"Obsolete" implies they are no longer compatible with the current generation bodies, which they are. I would leave them all together.
What about when / if they're no longer compatible with current bodies? If, for example, Promaster decides not to bother to update the 5050DXR/PX module. Or if there's a future incompatibility with Metz or Sigma and the company decides not to produce a firmware update for their older versions?
09-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
What about when / if they're no longer compatible with current bodies? If, for example, Promaster decides not to bother to update the 5050DXR/PX module. Or if there's a future incompatibility with Metz or Sigma and the company decides not to produce a firmware update for their older versions?
I would say add a notation to the specific model as to which cameras are Not compatible with the flash. Doesn't seem too difficult to do. That way you're website remains both current, and useful to the used gear crowd.