Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Very confused about flashes.

Okay, first off i'm sorry for asking this when all the information is readily available, but i'm still confused.

I have a K200D body with 5 'M' series lenses. I want to buy a flash, mostly for off-camera use. A fellow forum member is selling an AF-360fgz that has its hotshoe broken off. All the flashes wireless functions are still intact.
CAN i use this flash with any of my 'M' lenses, in ANY way possible?
Thanks.

09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Raylon

You can use a flash regardless of the lens in manual mode, but for my 540, I always have to attach the flash, half press the shutter to register it to the camera, then take it off. If the hotshoe is completely broken off, I am not sure how that would work.
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
hmm, thanks Raylon. The person selling the flash did demonstrate it working without the hot-shoe. My main concern is that P-TTL doesn't work with manual lenses, but i was wondering if i could use the flash in manual mode while it's operating wireless.
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Raylon

Hmm that's a good question. I can go test out my 540, should be similar to the 360.

And at the moment, I cannot get my flash to work wirelessly with my older lenses. I know for sure it works with the kit lens. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't use flashes yet because I just don't have time to learn; however, P-TTL is basically wireless fire, correct? Doesn't it go by shutter speed?

I don't know, I'm talking myself in circles here. I was originally going to say that it shouldn't work because the aperture can't be read, but now I'm unsure of myself.
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you can go wireless with M lenses (built in flash). Pg 131 of your manual. You MAY be able to if you have another 360 or 540 mounted on the shoe as the controller.

09-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An old-fashioned 'auto' flash, or a flash that supports that, might be a good combination with your M lenses: choose your aperture, do any compensating and set that aperture on your lenses.