Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Promatic FTD 4000 flash module

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all-

I picked up a flash today from the local antique store- it's a Promatic FTD 4000.

It was super cheap (10 bucks!) Has both tilt, swivel, and telescoping features, as well as a fill flash on the front site.

My only issue is that it has a "CN" Module on it (fits my AE-1 Canon). I'm wondering how on earth I can find a module to use with a *istDL, and the rest of my Pentax fleet.

Also, any idea where I'd find an instruction manual for it?

Thanks for any advice/assistance-

Kope

09-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe this flash will work with the Promaster 5050DXR Digital Flash Module .

However, be aware that Promaster hasn't yet updated this to support the K-7 or K-x — they've updated the 7500EDF, and are now working on the 7200EDF and 7400EDF. Once that's done, they'll evaluate whether it's worthwhile to do the modules. (So it might not hurt to e-mail them expressing interest.)
09-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I believe this flash will work with the Promaster 5050DXR Digital Flash Module .
No need to use the 5050DXR , just buy the Quantaray QDA-P for US $10. The istD has TTL support and even so, the module, flash, and camera, work great together in Auto mode. The flash reads the ISO from the camera and can communicate back to the camera to then set the aperture of the lens accordingly. The camera needs to be in Tv mode for this. With a dual e-dial camera, with shutter speed on one dial and ISO on the other, this is really an amazing way to use flash. If you want a smaller aperture, increase ISO, larger, decrease ISO. The module has three settings for ISO to set the base ISO. You can set ISO 100 (80 on the K-5,, I suppose) to start at f2/2.8, f4, or f5.6, so that you don't have to always use a high ISO to get small aperture.

I can't say enough good about this use with the flash this way on the K10/20D.

Thank you
Russell
12-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #4

I have a Promatic FTD 4000 flash module for Pentex cameras. I need one that fits a Canon Rebel. I'm willing to swap.