Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Help! AF540 FGZ loud noise then dead

Hi everyone. I have an AF540 FGZ flash I purchased used from another forum member. The flash worked great when used for months now. Today I was using it as daylight fill more than usual, but not pushing it hard in any way. All day it worked fine. I turned it on at the end of the event I was shooting for one last pic. It had been off for at least half an hour. Turned on my K-7 and pushed the shutter. There was a loud pop, no appreciable light, and then my flash was dead (no LCD display, no charging sound, etc.).

I've never had a flash tube go out on me, so I don't know if this is what happened. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you get it fixed? If so, how much did it cost? Is the tube user replaceable (at all)? I did search the forum before posting and couldn't find anything like this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Alex

09-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A loud noise such as that might have been caused something more serious than just the flash tube going out. I'd open up the flash and see if there isn't any internal damage (or send it to Pentax for service).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That sounds like the charging capacitor shorted out. Hopefully it did not short out the circuit board too.

Adams advice is good, but there's probably nothing you can repair yourself.
09-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pastoralex Quote
Hi everyone. I have an AF540 FGZ flash I purchased used from another forum member. The flash worked great when used for months now. Today I was using it as daylight fill more than usual, but not pushing it hard in any way. All day it worked fine. I turned it on at the end of the event I was shooting for one last pic. It had been off for at least half an hour. Turned on my K-7 and pushed the shutter. There was a loud pop, no appreciable light, and then my flash was dead (no LCD display, no charging sound, etc.).

I've never had a flash tube go out on me, so I don't know if this is what happened. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you get it fixed? If so, how much did it cost? Is the tube user replaceable (at all)? I did search the forum before posting and couldn't find anything like this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Alex
Sorry to hear your another poor 540 user.

Ok In a nutshell, mine had a similar explosion, it occurred somewhere around where the capacitors were, however I found no damaged capacitors but scorching and marks around the solder points. If you want to get it fixed well it'll be around $200 or so, best thing you can do is get faulty 540fgz that you can cannibalise for parts.

To be honest dont waste your time, get a Metz.

09-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

However it is dead now . I would open it up and check to see what burnt inside, and may be by luck, it's just an easy replacement part .
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If you want to take a look around inside of it, this may help guide you..

Jammed AF540FGZ -- How to Fix: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Anything is possible as to why it doesn't turn on at all but chances are pretty good that something is zapped. I don't know what the repair cost is but considering the cost of a new one these days, it may be somewhat cheaper. Of course, the bad part of it is, you're probably already $300 into it.

09-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great ideas all - just a couple more questions

I used to run an electronics repair shop (as service manager, not a tech) so I know enough to be dangerous and might try to open 'er up thanks to JeffJS's awesome link. I agree with chalion that it does sound more like a charging cap than the actual flash now that I think about it. I am $300 deep in this flash right now, so I've got little to lose by cracking it open.

Well there's your problem... all the smoke escaped from that thar' silvery thing!

Anybody actually replaced the cap before? Is the value on the thing? If not, does anyone know what it is offhand or from the schematic?

Thanks again!
Alex

09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

You may note that in my photos you cannot See the capacitor. Chances are though it's deeper in the body, perhaps the part the head attaches to, and you'll probably have to go further than I show to get at it. It's Probably an electrolytic capacitor and they Usually Are labeled and Do have polarity. Most of the parts in the head itself are probably replaceable but if the computer chip is blown, off to Pentax for repair, or ebay for parts. Do be careful though, that cap can still have a healthy charge stored in it.

09-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would not be an electrolytic cap, they cannot discharge fast enough. Look for mylar capacitor, yellowish color most likely.
After taking it apart post some pictures of the beast.
An after thought:
The charge module is probably potted making it hard to DIY repair.

P.S. If the cap is good and charged and you come across it, it most likely will not kill you, just hurt like hell.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-27-2010 at 04:17 PM.
11-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #10

Metz AF48 flash also just made a loud pop and now it does not work. Luckily I just purchased it about 2 weeks ago from amazon so its going back. Is this common?