Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EM-140 Macro Ring Flash - Opinion?

Hi

Wifey is interested to get a macro ring flash for her macro stuff. I am putting in an inquiry for her. Is the Sigma EM-140 (USD379) any good? Any one has this flash and can provide a user feedback?

Thanks
raider

09-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Raider,
I have the same macro ring which I bought some ears ago.
It is a very good tool to use, manually. The TTL doesn't work fine with Pentax cameras, so you ahve got to use it in M position. Then make a test shoot and play around with the input of the two flashes it has. You can decide the output manually and once you got it right pictures are fantastic. It is a bit of trial and error but the outcome is great.
If you ae interested about sample shoots I can send you some.
Ragards
Xavier
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

It is very good and I recommend it if one is keen on macro.

It enables working swiftly without a tripod using low apertures as f/13 with high shutter speeds.

It also has separate exposure settings for left and right lambs which can give better results.

Fill-in flash alone is very useful, can also help catching flying insects.

One thing to keep in mind is with low aperture and high speed settings background will be darker and more un-natural, which may be not desired sometimes.

I used a L-bracket with off flash, it gives good results but hard to work with and tiring. It is also very difficult or not possible to supply enough light at minumum focus range.

Some samples with Sigma EM-140:

here is a friend of mine who also uses this flash, he has a great set of macro shot here where that flash used -mostly the ones with darker backgrounds-
dragonflies - a set on Flickr

Last edited by apemen; 09-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an excellent and well-priced flash. To me the P-TTL implementation is quite good, and I use it with the camera in M mode. The flash is highly configurable. Good for products, but a lot of fun to play around with too for plants, bugs, and faces.

As a cheap alternative to let your wife experiment and discern whether she like this kind of photography (not everyone does), you can get one of those LED ring contraptions that surround the lens and pass through light from the popup flash. There are a lot out there and I don't have a recommendation. I've seen some better-than-decent shots taken with those things.

Here's a few shots taken with the Sigma:

M

Last edited by Miguel; 09-27-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Add images
09-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As a cheap alternative to let your wife experiment and discern whether she like this kind of photography (not everyone does), you can get one of those LED ring contraptions that surround the lens and pass through light from the popup flash. There are a lot out there and I don't have a recommendation. I've seen some better-than-decent shots taken with those things.

Here's a few shots taken with the Sigma:

M
I think the contraption is actually a reflector of sorts. There are no electronics within unless I'm thinking of something different. You can Buy LED Ring lights if that sort of thing moves you. In addition to the Sigma, there is also the Pentax AF160 and a Metz option. All worthwhile. I like my Pentax flash. The head is a little more compact than the one shown above. You asked about a Sigma however so if you want me to brag on my Pentax flash, I'll be happy to do so.

09-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeff,
Yeah, I'm probably conflating the reflector thingamajigs with the LED gizmos. It's hard to keep up these days....

M
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback and nice photos.

Originally i looked at the pentax AF-160 flash but decided it is too costly for me. The Metz 15 and Sigma 140 seems better priced.....and also i see this flash being used in one of Bryan Peterson's youtube videos so i reckon it cant be that bad

@apemen: u mentioned that this ring flash is good enuf to capture flying bugs? I am intrigued. May i know what lens are u using the ring flash with? my wife has the sigma 105 macro. i trust that these kind of bug-catching shots will be possible with this setup?

09-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Yes, It's expensive especially these days. I bought mine used for a little less than you're considering the sigma for. Any will probably work. Hope to see some of wifey's macros with her new flash soon.

09-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Sigma and Metz are not a true "ring" flashes; while the Pentax is. I'd love to be able to afford the Pentax, because on several other threads, the difference was visible. Still, it is a far more elegant solution than two flashes on the end of a bracket.
09-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chose the Sigma over the Pentax because I can mount a 77mm diameter filter thread on it. The Pentax flash only went up to 67mm.

Here's a sample shot:
09-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks for all the feedback and nice photos.

@apemen: u mentioned that this ring flash is good enuf to capture flying bugs? I am intrigued. May i know what lens are u using the ring flash with? my wife has the sigma 105 macro. i trust that these kind of bug-catching shots will be possible with this setup?
I could not yet : ) but I said it is possible because it has HSS -high seed sync- so you can go further 1/180s,
which Pentax AF160 flash does not have and it is a deal breaker for me.

Also it can go down to 1/64 power, which Pentax AF160FC can go 1/16.
low power is also good for fill-in flash and when one wants to preserve background.

I use the flash on Pentax 100mm WR and my friend on Sigma 105mm. It is Sigma 105mm and Sigma EM-140 combo my friend using in the previous picture I added.
09-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
I could not yet : ) but I said it is possible because it has HSS -high seed sync- so you can go further 1/180s,
which Pentax AF160 flash does not have and it is a deal breaker for me.

Also it can go down to 1/64 power, which Pentax AF160FC can go 1/16.
low power is also good for fill-in flash and when one wants to preserve background.

I use the flash on Pentax 100mm WR and my friend on Sigma 105mm. It is Sigma 105mm and Sigma EM-140 combo my friend using in the previous picture I added.
Those are interesting points I hadn't considered.
09-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
Also it can go down to 1/64 power, which Pentax AF160FC can go 1/16

that is a bit of misinformation, the AF160FC can go considerably lower than 1/16th in P-TTL mode*. The manual 1/16, 1/4 and 1:1 settings are there for ease of use and convenience. Incidentally, I own a Pentax AF160FC I use it in conjunction with a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 and a lack of HSS has not stopped me from getting sharp images during hand held use. The AF160FC has an adapter for use with the FA, D-FA, DA series 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses which takes the weight off the front of the filter thread, it fits in the same way as a lens hood does and also can be used as one in a pinch.

* in my un-scientific testing the AF160FC can go as low as 1/64th power in PTTL mode - my method was to use a FA77 f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO400 at 1.2M in auto flash mode the shot was properly exposed, at the 1/16th manual power setting the shot was substantially overexposed

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-28-2010 at 06:41 AM.
09-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #14

Yes, those were for manual setting.
Thanks for clarification.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
that is a bit of misinformation, the AF160FC can go considerably lower than 1/16th in P-TTL mode*. The manual 1/16, 1/4 and 1:1 settings are there for ease of use and convenience. Incidentally, I own a Pentax AF160FC I use it in conjunction with a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 and a lack of HSS has not stopped me from getting sharp images during hand held use. The AF160FC has an adapter for use with the FA, D-FA, DA series 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses which takes the weight off the front of the filter thread, it fits in the same way as a lens hood does and also can be used as one in a pinch.

* in my un-scientific testing the AF160FC can go as low as 1/64th power in PTTL mode - my method was to use a FA77 f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO400 at 1.2M in auto flash mode the shot was properly exposed, at the 1/16th manual power setting the shot was substantially overexposed
09-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the sharing.

Having read all the info, I think the sigma is good enuf for my wife. Now i just have to wait for my paycheck!