Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hella cool flash

I came across a reference to this hella cool sunpack flash: Sunpak Electronic Flash Units - 120JTTL & 120J Parabolic Reflector Flash Units

Apparently its discontinued now, with talk of a new model. You could buy a new one for less than $300 including battery pack.

Thats really cool, I did not know such a product existed that was actually affordable. I know of the q-flash units but this one seems smaller and cheaper. Too bad it doesnt have that many manual control settings, but still this is a very unique unit.

09-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Forum Member

A friend of mine offered to sell me one of his 120J flashes for 120 bucks. It needed a bulb and a module, though. He has one which is in mint condition and it's quite nice.
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

So what is the main advantages over a standard dedicated flash? Better diffusion? More power?
09-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
So what is the main advantages over a standard dedicated flash? Better diffusion? More power?
More power. A LOT more power. It's a 120 W/S portable strobe.

Most studio strobes are rated in W/S (which is total output power regardless of beam pattern) and most portable flashes are rated in Guide Number (GN) which depends on output beam pattern, but most portable strobes are 60 W/S or less.

The Sunpak 120Js are nice, too bad they are discontinued. Also too bad no one is doing "Armatar" style mods any more. Eventually I may buy a second 285HV and "Armatar" it, but I would advised against doing so unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing. (I'm an EE major. )

09-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Also since its bare-bulb it should work better with modifiers like softboxes.