Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

AF360 Problem

I have had a AF360 flash for quite some time but have never used it much as most of my photography is done outside. I used it last week at a friends wedding and it did not preflash. It is my understanding that in PTTL it should fire a preflash before the main flash fires. When I tested it out at home the night before the wedding it did preflash. I have tried it several more times since and still no preflash. Is my flash screwed up or am I doing something wrong?

10-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The pre-flash occurs just before the mirror goes up. I think there's only 1/50 sec between the pre-flash strobe and the main strobe. Most people can't tell the two strobes apart. They appear as only one (note that the frames in the movie are 1/24 or 1/30 sec apart).

To see the pre-flash, put your flash in p-TTL mode and your camera body in 2 sec delay self timer. When you hit the shutter release, these happen in order:

- Pre-flash strobe.
- Mirror going up.
- (After 2 sec) Shutter opening.
- Main strobe.
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks SOldBear, I'll check that out tonight. It confused me because when I tried it the night before the wedding, there was two distinct flashes with the first one seeming less powerful. The flash also made more noise when the first flash fired. Weird!
10-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveo Quote
I have had a AF360 flash for quite some time but have never used it much as most of my photography is done outside. I used it last week at a friends wedding and it did not preflash. It is my understanding that in PTTL it should fire a preflash before the main flash fires. When I tested it out at home the night before the wedding it did preflash. I have tried it several more times since and still no preflash. Is my flash screwed up or am I doing something wrong?
I have actually noticed the same. When I first put the AF360 on my KX and set it to PTTL there were two distinct flashes. Later at home with the same settings, I could only see one flash.

Read the manual twice, but it does not clearly state what setting to use on the camera for PTTL. When I tried P, Av, and M the camera seems to select slow shutter speeds, 1/15 or 1/30. If I use Tv and set it to 1/125 it always selects f4.