Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will superglue or epoxy fix the flash mount?

My 16 month old daughter recently knocked my K200D + Metz 48 flash off the table. The camera seems fine, but the plastic mount that surrounds the flash's metal contacts broke. It will not stay on securely anymore.

It was a fairly clean break, with one piece coming off and no other fragments. Is there any way to fix this, like with glue or something? Or do I have to get a new flash because one little plastic piece broke?

10-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No glue will fix it. Just have the shoe replaced.
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you contacted Metz for replacement part? In my experience, flash mount is pretty simple to replace.

You may want to try two-part epoxy to fix the current one (my favorite is J-B Weld). But the glue will hold only when there is sufficient contact surface area, or if there is some sort of reinforcement. If you post a photo of the flash mount where it breaks, someone may have ideas as how to fix it. You have nothing to lose.
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is contacting Metz for a replacement my only option? I'm not reluctant to contact them, just want to know what my options are.

I will try to remember to post a picture when I get home.

10-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Without actually seeing it, I can think of no reason why you wouldn't at least Try to fix it. Use a Gap filling Gel type super glue. In All Likelihood though you'll be replacing the shoe. I think Bogen/Manfrotto is the outfit that services Metz in the USA.

10-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
epoxy probably best bet, research how it holds up to heat after setting
so that 'gassing' episode wouldnt contaminate other equipment in same bag.

Might consider 'gusset'. A piece of material of somewhat same composition
that could be placed and glued with/over break and reinforce ( a splint, if you will)

Could even wrap with twine and then epoxy, wouldnt look good, but be strong.
factory fix be expensive... another option... win lottery.
10-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Been there - done that. With a Sigma flash. I used super glue as an emergency fix, but eventually you'll need to buy a new base. There's a lot of load on those mount lugs/tangs.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/56613-rep...per-flash.html

Dan.

10-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I can't wait three weeks to get the part from (whoever)...a large part of me wants to just say "forget it, I can afford another" and then peddle off the broken one for like $30 or so.

Here's a picture of the damage:
Attached Images

10-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow. That's gonna be difficult to fix because there's not enough surface area for the glue to bite.

I wonder whether you can cut a groove on either side (front and rear) of the mount and insert metal splints to reinforce the fix.

Do you have a friend who is a dentist? I bet she/he has the right equipment/glue to fix the flash.
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Thanks everyone. I can't wait three weeks to get the part from (whoever)...a large part of me wants to just say "forget it, I can afford another" and then peddle off the broken one for like $30 or so.

Here's a picture of the damage:
Buy a Sigma 530 Super or the new Sigma 630 Super to use while the Metz is being repaired. When you get the Metz back, you'll have a two flash system, where the Sigma can be master/controller to the Metz slave. This will get you wireless HSS, plus a two flash setup with the on board as master/controller.

Thank you
Russell
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
one alternative is to buy a remote cable & glue it on if necessary. Then the flash can be handheld for nice portrait angles, or used for wireless.
10-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
Inactive Account

It is still worth a try but in looking at your photo, I don't think gluing alone is going to work. You could attempt to Weld it (after the superglue has set) with a pencil type soldering iron. That is if you have one. Take the shoe off of the flash and draw the iron tip across the joint on each side of the repair. Just enough so it melts the plastic together. Take care not to inhale (or let your daughter inhale) the fumes. You may have to take an emery board (fingernail file) or a needle file and clean it up afterwords.

Really though I would just contact Metz and get another shoe.