Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

360 flash and superglue?

I have a 360 flash that I've used a lot. There is a little plate at the bottom of the flash head, just above the mounting lever that has popped out. I can push it back in, but it keeps popping out. The flash is wobbly when mounted.
Can I safely run a bead of Superglue along the edge of this plate and push it back in to secure it?

10-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have the Pentax 360 so I can't imagine the "little plate at the bottom of the flash head" you mention. But in general, I would find the cause of the problem first, then the way to fix it.

- What's the purpose of the plate?
- Why does the plate keep popping out?
- What is supposed to keep the plate from popping out? Why can't it hold the plate any more?

About glue, I don't use Superglue unless absolutely have to. It's too messy for me. If I had to use glue to fix this problem, I'd try epoxy, preferably the type that cures black (or at least dark) so the fix is less obvious.
10-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Bear,
It is a simple plate that seals the bottom around where the shaft of the shoe mount goes into the flash unit. Looks and acts like plastic. Also looks like there are little tips around the circular plate that keep it in, and some of these tips may have broken off.
Actually, I've found the entire flash a bit flimsy and cheap. Had to actually tape the battery door shut to keep from ejecting the batteries.
Anyway, I think a simple application of strong glue or epoxy will seal and hold it, but I wanted to check first because I'm sure there are connections running up from the hot shoe through the shaft. I'm also not sure if some bonding agents would melt plastic.
10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Ron,

It looks like you've checked things out carefully. Go ahead and glue the plate shut.

Be careful of superglue, however. When curing, its vapor is pretty nasty. I don't know how long afterward it still emits vapor. If you put the superglued flash in a bag, there is a chance that the vapor fogs the lenses.

My favorite glue in repairing is JB Weld epoxy, mainly for its gap filing capability.

10-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bear,
JB Weld is my favorite as well, but I'm afraid it is too thick for this job. Gap is tiny. That's why I was think of something with the vescosity of Superglue, but you are right about the vapors. You can smell them for a long time after it cures, so I may consider something else. Time to talk to my "helpful hardware man."
10-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Thanks Bear,
JB Weld is my favorite as well, but I'm afraid it is too thick for this job. Gap is tiny. That's why I was think of something with the vescosity of Superglue, but you are right about the vapors. You can smell them for a long time after it cures, so I may consider something else. Time to talk to my "helpful hardware man."
JB Weld is probably better than plain Superglue by any report, and less fogging. People raise fingerprints with Superglue vapors: (key word: Cyanoacrylate) you don't want that near your optics. *Whatever* it is, don't put it in a confined space with cameras or lenses for a long time, anyway. For a long time. Past when you can smell it a little, Period.

Epoxies might work better, anyway. Superglue is neat, for some things, but won't hold against any shearing stresses, (like a flash shoe gets) JB Weld should be able to hold at least as long as it's not *too* thin. If you have wide mating-faces, a plain old epoxy may be just as well.
10-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rat. From using JB Weld, I know it is too thick to use on this tiny slit, so I'll check out getting a regular epoxy--and I'll leave the flash outside my backpack for days.