Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #1

off-camera flash cord for K-x

I want to use Metz 58 flash unit off camera (I only need to illuminate the area just before the lens but I don't want expensive ring flash).

I also want HSS so I can't use remote feature (or so I heard on these boards).

So it seems like I need a cord that extends the hot shoe like this
Vivitar Digital Off-Shoe Flash Cord VIV-FC-PEN - B&H Photo Video
or
Dot Line HD PTTL Off-Camera TTL Shoe Cord RS-0447 - B&H Photo

The question, is, are there any cases of these things working well with K-x? Because I googled a few reports that they dont' work with K-x. Does anyone at all have positive experience with any of these cords?

I know people will recommend pentax own trio
Pentax F5P 3' Extension Cord for Off-Camera TTL Flash 37347 -
Pentax Off Camera Shoe Adpater F 31046 - B&H Photo Video
Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F 31022 - B&H Photo Video

but that's too expensive so i am going to try cheaper solution first and if that fails, maybe some day later will buy these.

By the way the images of the 2 adapters look exactly the same, is this an B&H error or they are indeed the same and they simply don't have the correct one?

10-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Mine is similar to the Dot Line (I'm not surprised if they came from the same factory). It works fine.

The Pentax solution is the best. But I agree that it's too expensive. I also have the Pentax solution, only because it was part of a package I bought used.

See this thread.

The two Pentax adapters in questions are different.

This is the 31046:

I can't find images for the 31022, but I think its bottom has the same contacts as a flash mount. With the 31022 attached to the camera's hotshoe, you can have a flash on top of the 31022, and a remote flash via the cord. The 31046 is for the remote flash only.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-21-2010 at 11:56 AM.