Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Ananta Androscoggin

Promaster flash unit

I'm thinking maybe I'm glad that I just checked the Promaster website to see if there is any information about the flash unit I bought at a yard sale some years back. It hadn't show up on searches of either Amazon or on eBay for me.

It's the Promaster FTD 5600 with the AF module for Canon dedicated systems. I'm guessing it's probably not a good idea to even try it with my Just-Delivered-Today shiny new K-x camera. It may not have been smart for me to have used it in the past with my old P30t, either.

In either case, I don't know for sure, even after downloading the PDF version of the manual for this flash. http://www.promaster.com/InstructionBooks/FTD5600_Electronic_Flash.pdf , so I'm going to retire the thing and look for something different that won't cause me any worry for the electronics in the camera body.

10-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That thing should be safe but it won't do P-TTL.
It can only do manual with the QDA-P module.
QDA-PAF won't work nor the 5050DXR for Pentax.
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You could still use it as an additional flash or compliment flash which you could trigger wirelessly or with an appropriate cord. =)
10-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Ananta Androscoggin

Perhaps like thru a cable from the hot shoe to this unit hanging on something like a Stroboframe lite?

Or strictly through a radio trigger unit where it'd be completely isolated electrically?

10-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You could still use this directly but for it to be usable, you have to get the QDA-P module for the flash itself 'coz the other modules wouldn't work or will always cause it to fire full power.
The QDA-P module is an auto-thyristor module when set to "auto" and also has settings that will let you set the flash output to less power to full power output for full manual control.
If you really want to be safe then you can also attach this via a PC sync if your camera has that or has an attachment for the hot shoe that provides a pc sync outlet..if not, you can use wireless triggers and use this as your second flash for highlight fill or background fill..etc.
There are the radio wireless flash triggers or the old optical slave flash triggers.

If in doubt, ask more from other forums members.
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's a link wherein you can read about this including a link on the thread on the flash voltages: Cool flash - "Black's" - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Promaster and Quantaray flashes are the same with the Quantaray brand just being distributed by Wolf/Ritz camera chains.
You will see that the Promaster FTD's are all below 6v even though the FTD 5600 is not included on the list..it is however of the same FTD model.

You can cross check this with the Quantaray model ones since they have a different model name and number..but the same flash (re-branded) is made by Promaster.