Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x with new metz 58 AF-1 I'm lost

Hello, Im new to these forums, as far as posting/replying goes. I've been here a number of times and I always find site very helpful. But this time my search has come up empty. I have a pentax, it was my first dslr, so I've had a lot to learn. But now I'm very familiar with the camera, and I love it. My problem this time involves my new metz 58 flash. It's like learning photography all over, I'm lost. I've seen many posts here talking about different flashes and more specifically the metz flashes. In fact that's what convinced me to buy one. However, I have been struggling to figure the contraption out. I have read the entire manual for the flash and I understand most of it. But for the life of me, I can not figure out how to get the flash to work off camera. I've searched on here, I've searched elsewhere, and I'm getting nowhere. Maybe it's the terminology, It's so new to me. Anyway, what I'm looking for is a simple step by step process preferably from a k-x/metz 58 AF-1 owner. Thanks in advance! Shawn

Last edited by shawnrnicholas; 10-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.
10-29-2010, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Shawn,

Where I am now, I do not have my camera and my 54 AF-1 with me, but let me try and help you here.
What you need to do is:

1. Set the K-x in wireless flash mode. Read the manual for that. The K-x will use channel 1 by default.
2. Set the flash in slave mode.
3. Point the flash sensor on the flash to the K-x (on my 58, it means turning the lower part of the flash towards the camera)
4. Take a flash photo.

It took me a few hours to figure out point 3. Without the receiver pointing to the camera my Metz will not fire.

Hope this helps.

- Bert
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much. I actually managed to figure this out myself last night after hours of trying different things. It's actually very disappointing how close the metz has to be to the camera for this to work. I had no idea this is how a wireless flash system works. I guess I assumed it used Infrared technology. In all the reviews I read, no one ever mentioned how limited of a range this wireless technology has. I'm now seeing that there are remotes and hard-wiring ways of doing this that work better. But now my question is, is there such a system that works with the metz 58/k-x combo? Everything I'm seeing is referring to pentax branded flashes and k-7 and up.
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shawnrnicholas Quote
Thank you so much. I actually managed to figure this out myself last night after hours of trying different things. It's actually very disappointing how close the metz has to be to the camera for this to work. I had no idea this is how a wireless flash system works. I guess I assumed it used Infrared technology. In all the reviews I read, no one ever mentioned how limited of a range this wireless technology has. I'm now seeing that there are remotes and hard-wiring ways of doing this that work better. But now my question is, is there such a system that works with the metz 58/k-x combo? Everything I'm seeing is referring to pentax branded flashes and k-7 and up.
If you want a longer range, buy some cheap radio transmitters. Apparently Meitz just came out with some. I use Cactus V4s, and have never had an issue with range. I bought mine, lightly used, for $45 for one transimitter and two receivers.

10-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
If you want a longer range, buy some cheap radio transmitters. Apparently Meitz just came out with some. I use Cactus V4s, and have never had an issue with range. I bought mine, lightly used, for $45 for one transimitter and two receivers
Thanks! That cactus V4 looks pretty sweet. I'm definitely going to have to pick something like that up. I found a one transmitter/ receiver new for $40, not bad.
10-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The receivers use AAA batteries, too. Easy to find & replace, IMO.