Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
End user opinions on AF360 FGZ flash?

I am interested to know how is the build quality of the AF360 FGZ flash gun.

There are some forumers mentioned that the battery door kept breaking and not able to contain the batteries. Some mentioned that the part connecting to the hot shoe also kept chipping off or something. I am not sure if these apply only to certain batches of the flash or to all AF360 in general. Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

Are there also any technical problems of using this flash with the K100D and K10D in general?

Thanks

09-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had 4 units-gave two away to family members. Only one had serious issues, including the door problem--might have something to do with being flung from a camera bag several meters down the driveway and into the street. All others continue to perform without trouble or problem. Read the manual!

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am interested to know how is the build quality of the AF360 FGZ flash gun.

There are some forumers mentioned that the battery door kept breaking and not able to contain the batteries. Some mentioned that the part connecting to the hot shoe also kept chipping off or something. I am not sure if these apply only to certain batches of the flash or to all AF360 in general. Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

Are there also any technical problems of using this flash with the K100D and K10D in general?

Thanks
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have one, and the battery door does seem to not want to stay closed, but it only slides down like one millimeter and doesn't affect it's performance.

On the K10D it works like a charm, including wireless if you've got the 1.30 firmware.
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no issues with mine except it's quite complicated if you want to anything beyond just P-TTL. I agree with John, you definitely want to read the manual!

09-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #5

Build quality seems adequate. Agree the previous comments regarding the need to study the manual.

The one thing I really don't like (are you listening, Mr Pentax?) is the rotating wheel control for adjusting values for several parameters. It's badly placed and quite stiff - a pair of up/down buttons would be much easier to use.
09-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I have one also. No build quality issues yet. My only grip is that the flash head does not rotate. This is easily fixed with an external flash bracket. But for the amount of things it does, not having this basic feature is somewhat disconcerting.
09-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!

09-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The battery door is a pain in the arse as it likes to slide open sometimes. Beyond that, I've got no problems with it.

I'd love to have a head that swivels, but I can shoot wireless to get around that problem.

Aside from the battery door, it's been wonderful to use.
09-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any DIY type of solution to fix the battery door if it breaks?