Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Im confused about Flash Compatibility..

Alright:!
I have done my homework and scouted the forum for an answer on this, but none of the answers given actually gives a definite "yes or no". My question is:
  • IS the Hot Shoe - Clip On, flash multi-compatible?
(As in, Multi-brand-compatible)

The reason i ask, is my nightscene job that forces me to hunt down the ideal price/value flash, for about 100-150$ (or 700 Danish Kroners).

In my inventory (played a bit much diablo yesterday) i hold a Pentax K-x and a standard 18-55mm objective. I'm seeking a complimentary optic (like prime 50mm, 1:2), but it is the flash question that bothers me.
Seeing as Both Canon and Nikon, offers a more wide line of flash products, it is hard to confirm that you actually CANNOT take a Canon compatible Sigma 530 DG flash, and put it on top of the Pentax instead.

So .. is it possible? Is it a different fit for the Canon EOS, compared to Pentax's?
Will a Speedlight f.x. also be possible to use with a K-x?

Thanks in advance.
-Thomas

11-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can mount any flash on your K-x hot-shoe; that's universal fit.

Pentax dslr cameras use P-TTL metering; if you want to take advantage of that, your flash unit as to be compatible with this norm. (canon and nikon flashes are not).

Also, if you want to use a third-party flash unit you should be aware of the flash voltage; you can fry your camera circuitry. Check here:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can't turn a Canon or Nikon specific flash into something that's P-TTL compatible with Pentax.

There used to be modular flashes from companies that you could swap out the flash mount on the flash to use it with different cameras (turning the flash from something Canon-specific to something Pentax-specific) from companies like Sunpak, but that modular head technology didn't extend beyond TTL as far as I know. Some Sunpak flashes have an 'Auto' mode where the flash used it's own light sensor and settings you dialed in to it to fire for the right amount and duration, and Sunpak also made a generic flash mount that works on any camera, so there's nothing stopping you from using older auto flashes like that (as long as their voltage is below 12v) with multiple camera types, but there's little integration with the camera body at that point (nothing along the lines of P-TTL).
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume the 50mm f2 lens is an M version. In that case Pentax flash wouldn't be able to use its automatic magic either and you can use generic flash. Insulate small contacts around the big center one to avoid confusing the electronics too much. In case of Sigma flash that is not capable of manual contorl you will find it extremly difficult to get proper exposure.
If the 50mm lens is "A" version you can benefit a lot from using P-TTL flash. Metz 48 or Pentax 360FGZ are not too expensive and provide enough light.