Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help I have flash problems

I have a pentax k10d and recently dropped it by accident and the external flash broke off. But now the internal flash dosnt work and I bought a new external flash and it wont work either. Please any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much. I am kinda lost when it comes to fixing things, and describing them. I think the hotshoe could have a problem.

12-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Sounds like a professional repair job is needed; something inside the camera is probably physically broken. An alternative to a repair might be getting a fully working second hand unit and selling the broken one (some people might not mind the flash not working). For this, consider the marketplace here.
12-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks do you think it will cost too much to have it repaired.
12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the appropriate forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A used K10d in good condition would probably cost between $250 and $350 depending on shutter count and accessories, so you might use that as a benchmark for how much you are willing to pay for a repair. I'm not sure if Pentax charges for repair estimates in the US but it wouldn't hurt to contact them to ask about repair costs and parts availability for the K10d. A second hand K20d would likely be less than $500 and it would use the same batteries and accessories as your existing body.
12-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by katie Quote
Thanks do you think it will cost too much to have it repaired.
You'll really need to get quote to decide which is the best option.
12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I have a pentax k10d and recently dropped it by accident and the external flash broke off. But now the internal flash dosnt work and I bought a new external flash and it wont work either. Please any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much. I am kinda lost when it comes to fixing things, and describing them. I think the hotshoe could have a problem.
It could be something as simple as a loose wire or more complex. Really hard to say without looking inside. Did any part of the Camera break, or crack? The others are probably correct, a trip to the service center is probably in order. Then decide if it's worth fixing or not.

12-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nothing broke on the camera it is fine. Next question, I live in mississippi and cant find anywhere to take it and I really hate to have to ship it off, so where should I take it?
12-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Somebody else may have a better answer for you. I would contact Pentax and ask them. Looks like the closest authorized service center to you is in Georgia.

Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

12-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
great news I got it fixed for $100 from unitedcamera.com I sent it to them on monday and just got it back today(friday)
12-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Glad to hear, reasonable price too :-) [edit: and very fast :-o]

Last edited by jolepp; 12-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

great news I got it fixed for $100 from unitedcamera.com I sent it to them on monday and just got it back today(friday)
Sweet. That's a lot better than I would have assumed.