Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Whats your feelings on this flash kit?
Junk... dont waste your money. 685.71%
Would be good for someone looking to learn 114.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for an inexpensive flash option....

So as the title says, I'm looking to go the route of an inexpensive flash kit. I know quality comes at a price, but as a new guy to the DSLR world, I still have alot to learn about the camera itself. I dont want to purchase a $200 flash, and be overwhelmed by that as well. I was hoping to just get something for a couple of bucks, and maybe throw it on here and there and learn a little at a time.
I have a K-x and was hoping that this flash kit would work. It seems like a pretty fair price for what your getting. (yes its over $100, but it seems fair with the diffuser, bracket and cord bundled together)
My question to you is... as professionals, im sure you would not waste your money on this, but as an amateur looking to learn, is it worth the $100? or is is just junk?

Thanks in advance.

*** Have edited link to show a different flash that seems a little better than original flash shown***
http://www.cameta.com/Bell-Howell-Z680AF-Zoom-Flash-for-Pentax-Samsung-52325.cfm

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 12-16-2010 at 04:28 PM.
12-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You'll be happier with a P-TTL flash (it is plug & play), basically no adjustments or calculations needed.

Here's a direct link to Cameta's offerings: Search Results

You'd also like wireless P-TTL capability (not the same as "wireless slave" which flashes full power in response to some other flash), but that's hard to find in off-brand flashes. Using a wire for an off-camera P-TTL flash is an ok alternative. The larger the "guide number", the more powerful the flash.

I can't say the flash you pointed to is junk, but I can't find the specifications for it!

I have a Rokinon P-TTL flash I got from Overstock.com and am happy with it; I use a P-TTL wire when hand-holding the flash - no problem!

Dave
12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #3

I vote junk...

and I'll tell you why. You mentioned that you wanted to learn to use flash. Well using a flash that is either "on" or "off" and can't bounce or swivel is not really learning to use flash. You won't be happy with the results, and you'll be so turned off/scared to use flash that you'll (most likely) consider this a wasted expense and be happy that you "didn't spend more money on such a crappy solution."

Save a bit more and buy a flash with a head that can rotate and swivel and with adjustable power. This way you can learn to use flash. It's not that hard, it's not rocket science, it's not re-inventing the wheel. You don't need a $500 dollar unit, more like $200. I just bought a Sigma EF-500 DG Super with a Custom Brackets Folding-T bracket and sync cord for $255, not a bad price at all. I anticipate the flash will help with indoor shots as well as outdoor shots.

Buying junk now has a certain sense of gratification which quickly fades when you get inferior shots, shots not much better than your on-camera pop-up flash, and a unit that breaks in 3 months.
12-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
You'll be happier with a P-TTL flash (it is plug & play), basically no adjustments or calculations needed.

Here's a direct link to Cameta's offerings: Search Results

You'd also like wireless P-TTL capability (not the same as "wireless slave" which flashes full power in response to some other flash), but that's hard to find in off-brand flashes. Using a wire for an off-camera P-TTL flash is an ok alternative. The larger the "guide number", the more powerful the flash.

I can't say the flash you pointed to is junk, but I can't find the specifications for it!

I have a Rokinon P-TTL flash I got from Overstock.com and am happy with it; I use a P-TTL wire when hand-holding the flash - no problem!

Dave
There are a few reasonably priced p-ttl flashes on the cameta.com website. Also see overstock.com

12-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do you all feel about this one? still reasonably priced, and seems to be a better option...
http://www.cameta.com/Bell-Howell-Z680AF-Zoom-Flash-for-Pentax-Samsung-52325.cfm

^^^ Edited link to show correct flash

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 12-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Also keep in mind that the Poll flash shown won't allow use on that bracket it comes with:

Not only does your camera not include a sync cord connection, but it doesn't indicate that this flash even has a built in slave, to trigger from your pop-up. To use the bracket, you would have to buy an accessory (for the) shoe with a PC connection.

Also be suspicious of any flashes that come with NiMhs and chargers, plus a cleaning kit!!!
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

the P-TTL cord shown goes on the camera's hot shoe.

I can't see how the flash attaches to the bracket, but I'm betting it does.

Dave

12-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. How do you all feel about the one I just posted about two posts up? Is that a little better?
12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
the P-TTL cord shown goes on the camera's hot shoe.

I can't see how the flash attaches to the bracket, but I'm betting it does.

Dave
Oops--you're right. I didn't study the photos closely enough.
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I am hoping to order this flash tomorrow. Does anyone have input on this flash rather than the flash i previously listed?
This one looks alot better. Worth the $150? Should i get this?

Thanks all!

Bell & Howell Z680AF Zoom Flash (for Pentax/Samsung)
The Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Digital Autofocus Power Zoom P-TTL Flash is an innovatively designed flash unit for both digital and traditional SLR cameras with a wide array of high-end features at an affordable price. This model -- compatible with Pentax SLR cameras -- features fully automatic P-TTL operation and helps photographers fill shadows, add depth, avoid red-eye and improve image resolution.
Key Features:
  • Full automatic P-TTL operation
  • Zoom, Bounce and Swivel Head
  • Built-In Diffuser and Reflector Panel
  • Zoom coverage from 24mm to 85mm
  • IGBT circuitry
  • Front and Rear Curtain Synchronization
  • Auto Check Indicator
  • Red AF assistance beam
  • Auto Power Saving function
  • Wireless Slave Flash capability
  • Economically powered by four AA-size batteries

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 12-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
12-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
So I am hoping to order this flash tomorrow. Does anyone have input on this flash rather than the flash i previously listed?
This one looks alot better. Worth the $150? Should i get this?

Thanks all!

Bell & Howell Z680AF Zoom Flash (for Pentax/Samsung) with Bracket + Cord + AA Batteries & Charger + Accessory Kit

Bell & Howell Z680AF Zoom Flash (for Pentax/Samsung)
The Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Digital Autofocus Power Zoom P-TTL Flash is an innovatively designed flash unit for both digital and traditional SLR cameras with a wide array of high-end features at an affordable price. This model -- compatible with Pentax SLR cameras -- features fully automatic P-TTL operation and helps photographers fill shadows, add depth, avoid red-eye and improve image resolution.
Key Features:
  • Full automatic P-TTL operation
  • Zoom, Bounce and Swivel Head
  • Built-In Diffuser and Reflector Panel
  • Zoom coverage from 24mm to 85mm
  • IGBT circuitry
  • Front and Rear Curtain Synchronization
  • Auto Check Indicator
  • Red AF assistance beam
  • Auto Power Saving function
  • Wireless Slave Flash capability
  • Economically powered by four AA-size batteries
Specs & price look ok. I hope it works out ok!
12-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

You might also want to consider the Sigma EF-530 DG ST. I just picked one up really cheap because they area clearing stock to make way for the new model (EF-610).

Or for a few more dollars than the Bell & Howell you posted you could get the very capable Sigma Super model:

Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash for Pentax P-TTL Operation 169-109
12-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats a good deal as well, the nice thing about the Bell & Howell is that the kit comes with the camera the bracket and cord all for $150, im sure its not as nice as the Sigma, but trying to save a few bucks without sacrificing too much

Great find though!
12-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

i put my trust on 30$ YN 560.. gn 33, tilt swivel head, cat eye, advanced cateye, down to 1/128 adjustmentt, 2 sec cycle rate on full power