Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz AF illuminator alignment?

So, I got this little Metz model 36 for a holiday prezzie, but it seems to me that the AF illuminator aims rather high: particularly at closer ranges (It's rather too weak to much worry about longer ones: much weaker than I'd been hoping for, if it operates in visible light wavelengths. ) But I'm wondering if they typically are made to aim so, or if I perhaps ought to try an exchange.

(Edit on another thought: Wondering, before I go into the case here, (Kind of not cool to do exploratory if I do decide to exchange) if anyone who's had a recent Metz apart knows what's under where the flash foot mounts. It looks like, if there's leeway, I could just shim it a little inside.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.
12-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think they're made like this.

Your other problem at close distance might be that the flash beam does not properly expose the bottom part of your subject (as you can not tilt the head down).

Possible solution; mount it next to the camera on a bracket and use a sync cord. Admitted, extra costs involved.
12-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I think they're made like this.

Your other problem at close distance might be that the flash beam does not properly expose the bottom part of your subject (as you can not tilt the head down).

Possible solution; mount it next to the camera on a bracket and use a sync cord. Admitted, extra costs involved.
Well, Ok, if that's how they're made, that's how they're made. I've been doing some shooting around and getting OK results, it seems: somehow the unit seems to behave reasonably-predictably, despite a lack of its own controls. (I've been looking at the little unit cause I simply don't often want to carry a biggie, and I'm a low-power flash gal most of the time, anyway. I still wish someone'd make a *little* 'pro' unit, small size with more controls, but hey. The automation seems to behave predictably enough for my subconscious to get me to the kind of balance I like: we'll see about precision as I go. I was really hoping for more out of the AF illuminator, but on balance, this seems to be worth having. )

Maybe I'll recruit an extra pair of hands so I can try seeing how square things are with a laser pointer my sweetie has. I'm still entertaining my idea of shimming between the body and hotshoe to try and optimize for the ranges I'll be using, so if anyone knows what's under there, I'd appreciate it.

I do have a little bracketry arrangement in mind: a little Demb one or an imitation of my own making would seem to be the ticket. Between that and handholding the flash separately, it'll be a really elegant little setup for me, and it'll still work nice if I have call for my old 285 or something else that's bigger.

So far, so good, with my little scheme, here, though.