Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for Kx

Just bought A Kx for the family Christmas present (mainly because we have a Pentax K1000 that has served us well, and we have lenses for that SLR as well).

My question is with the external flash, on the K1000 we used a Focal DA-2000 (Multi-Dedicated Automatic Flash Unit). Should we be ale to use this flash on the Kx? Or is it even worth trying?

Thanks in advance

12-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It should work, but you'll have to meter manually and sync at 1/60s most likely. Definitely not convenient...but it'll work!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

BEFORE ATTACHING THE FLASH TO THE CAMERA: please check the flash's trigger voltage. Have the flash fully charge, measure the voltage from the center pin of the flash's foot (positive) and one of the contacts on the sides of the flash's foot (ground). If the reading is 6V or less, the flash is definitely safe. If more than 6V, it's "your call." I use 24V as the limit. Do a search for "flash trigger voltage" if you need more info.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It should work, but you'll have to meter manually and sync at 1/60s most likely. Definitely not convenient...but it'll work!
Uhmmm......

I think it will sync at any speed 1/180 sec and lower. The sync speed is determined by the camera, not by the flash (unless for ancient tungsten flash bulbs).

Also, it looks like in addition to manual, the Focal DA-2000 has auto mode (using the flash's light sensor).

For auto mode:

- Set the flash to 'auto' and the camera to 'M'.

- Set camera shutter speed to 1/180 (X speed) or lower.

- Set ISO on the flash, note the aperture pointed to by the flash (e.g. f/4 at ISO 200, or f/5.6 at ISO 400). On the camera, set the ISO and the aperture to the same values as on the flash.

- Fire some test shots.
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Adam, MANY older SLR flashes with high voltages can fry the camera and turn it into garbage.

12-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Adam, MANY older SLR flashes with high voltages can fry the camera and turn it into garbage.
Thanks, I'll meter the flash to see what the voltage is. I tried to find any info on this flash online but nothing came up on my search. And thanks for the pointers on the settings, if the voltage is safe then I'll play around with it.
12-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Also look for your flash(es) on this list here:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Surprisingly, some models have widely various voltages from unit to unit, even those manufactured in the same year! So you're smart to test.
01-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
The flash metered out at 11 volts, so from what I've read so far I think it's fairly safe. But like one poster said on another board, why risk a new camera on an old flash.. Just purchase a new one that you know won't harm the camera. Guess I'll check out prices and decide from there. Thanks for all your advice and input.

01-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

What did that list say?

11v should be totally safe.
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
11v won't hurt a thing. Use it in good health.

Why blow hundreds of dollars on a new flash when you have a perfectly good one right there in your lap?
01-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What did that list say?

11v should be totally safe.
I couldn't find the Focal flash on the list.
01-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The trouble is that there is no official figure for a safe trigger voltage, 11 V should be fine though. With modern electronics in general the trouble starts at a few tens of volts. The isolation between the leads and components within the microchips cannot cope; these are tiny, so is the thickness of the isolation between them.