Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #1

Using an old pre digital flash gun with a K10D

I have a K10D and have been warned not to use my old cobra ttl flash gun with it as there may be risk of electrical damage to the camera. Is this advice good advice or could I use the gun without worry?

Many thanks

Chris

01-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which model?

According to this list (scroll down), only one of four models ISN'T safe:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
01-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Please note I'm guessing here !! An educated guess in my opinion but still a guess.

If it's ttl, there is electronics involved for communication with the camera. In my opinion this would imply that it's safe.

To be sure, you can measure the voltage on the main contact of the flash when it is charged (and not connected to the camera).

Last edited by sterretje; 01-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
01-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moving this to the accessories section- it's not really about a current problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Please note I'm guessing here !! An educated guess in my opinion but still a guess.

If it's ttl, there is electronics involved for communication with the camera. In my opinion this would imply that it's safe.

To be sure, you can measure the voltage on the main contact of the flash when it is charged (and not connected to the camera).
The TTL signals are safe. What you have to worry about is the trigger voltage. There are many old flashes that can do TTL that still have very high trigger voltages.
01-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saladfunky Quote
... my old cobra ttl flash gun...
Chris,

If you list the model of the flash gun, you may get more meaningful replies.
01-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hello and Thanks for the responces. I have a Cobra dedicated D650 LCD system flash gun which I bought in the late eighties I think. A great gun when I used it with my super A. Fingers crossed I can still use it with my K10D?

thanks

Chris

01-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The TTL signals are safe. What you have to worry about is the trigger voltage. There are many old flashes that can do TTL that still have very high trigger voltages.
Hi, thanks for the reply, does anyone know how to measure the trigger voltage to check this? It is a cobra D650 LCD system flash gun.

cheers

Chris
01-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Hello and Thanks for the responces. I have a Cobra dedicated D650 LCD system flash gun which I bought in the late eighties I think. A great gun when I used it with my super A. Fingers crossed I can still use it with my K10D?

thanks

Chris
It's safe, Chris--only 5.6 volts. See my linked list above. (I love being the bearer of good news.)

To test, you use a voltmeter contacted to both terminals of the sync cord, and just turn the unit on. (You don't fire it or anything.) Make sure the unit is fully charged, or you have fresh batteries in there.

There's a shoe adapter called a Wein Safe-Sync which will reduce the trigger voltage of any flash down to 6 volts, but it ain't cheap--50 plus bucks. I needed a PC sync cord solution for one of my old flashes (safe voltage), since the K-x doesn't have a sync connection, and I debated whether to buy it. It goes in the shoe, retains hot shoe functionality, but also has a PC Sync port.

Being cheap and poor, I went for the less expensive $15 shoe-to-PC adapter only, but I really want to get one of these for my smaller, unsafe flashes.
01-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's safe, Chris--only 5.6 volts. See my linked list above. (I love being the bearer of good news.)

To test, you use a voltmeter contacted to both terminals of the sync cord, and just turn the unit on. (You don't fire it or anything.) Make sure the unit is fully charged, or you have fresh batteries in there.

There's a shoe adapter called a Wein Safe-Sync which will reduce the trigger voltage of any flash down to 6 volts, but it ain't cheap--50 plus bucks. I needed a PC sync cord solution for one of my old flashes (safe voltage), since the K-x doesn't have a sync connection, and I debated whether to buy it. It goes in the shoe, retains hot shoe functionality, but also has a PC Sync port.

Being cheap and poor, I went for the less expensive $15 shoe-to-PC adapter only, but I really want to get one of these for my smaller, unsafe flashes.
thanks for the replies, I got the same voltage result when I tested it so have tried using the gun on the K10D. I got some good shots ,some overexposed and some under. I get the feeling the gun doesn't work on the K10D like it did on the super A. With the super A it would expose perfectly no matter what I did to the aperture thanks to the ttl metering. Do you think the ttl doesn't work on a K10D? I need to find my manuals I think. But has anyone else had success?

thanks

Chris
01-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the replies, I got the same voltage result when I tested it so have tried using the gun on the K10D. I got some good shots ,some overexposed and some under. I get the feeling the gun doesn't work on the K10D like it did on the super A. With the super A it would expose perfectly no matter what I did to the aperture thanks to the ttl metering. Do you think the ttl doesn't work on a K10D? I need to find my manuals I think. But has anyone else had success?

thanks

Chris

The K10d does not support ttl flash metering. In other words, you are correct. The flash gun does not work on the K10d like it would with the Super A.
01-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The K10d does not support ttl flash metering. In other words, you are correct. The flash gun does not work on the K10d like it would with the Super A.

Thanks for that, so I have the option of auto or manual modes left on the cobra D650. Has anyone else used this combination successfully? K10D and cobra D650? or similar? Other question is how would a modern flash work on the K10D? Is TTL now old school?

thanks, I'm learning alot

Chris
01-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, so I have the option of auto or manual modes left on the cobra D650. Has anyone else used this combination successfully? K10D and cobra D650? or similar? Other question is how would a modern flash work on the K10D? Is TTL now old school?

thanks, I'm learning alot

Chris
Old-fashioned auto mode ought to work just fine for you with that unit, possibly with a little correction by now, ...Pentax digitals since some years ago (One of the *ist D-models? Not sure.) have a newer TTL flash metering protocol called P-ttl, which is actually through-the-lens, but based on measuring a little pre-strobing of the tube in the instant before the actual shutter opens, rather than shutting down the actual flash duration during the exposure like 'true' ttl.

It's not a popular thing about this system, (particularly when it comes to how long it's taken for there to be very many fully-compatible automated flash options: I'm kind of hoping future models will find a way to work the old true TTL option back in somehow: there are advantages to it. ) but a newer P-ttl flash will work OK, if you get hold of one of those too.

If that's making sense: I'm up pretty early this morning.

Anyway, the old 'auto' flash just has a little 'electric eye' on the flash itself which tells the flash when to cut its own duration off: barring anything fooling it or exceeding range limits, it gives light to deliver proper exposure at the f-stop selected.

(True TTL essentially does the same thing, but the 'electric eye' is in the camera, so it can be more direct and precise. )

I like the old 'auto' just fine, though, actually: it's a pretty convenient way to balance the ambient light and what the flash adds. You just tend to get fewer choices of aperture ranges.
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Old-fashioned auto mode ought to work just fine for you with that unit, possibly with a little correction by now, ...Pentax digitals since some years ago (One of the *ist D-models? Not sure.) have a newer TTL flash metering protocol called P-ttl, which is actually through-the-lens, but based on measuring a little pre-strobing of the tube in the instant before the actual shutter opens, rather than shutting down the actual flash duration during the exposure like 'true' ttl.

It's not a popular thing about this system, (particularly when it comes to how long it's taken for there to be very many fully-compatible automated flash options: I'm kind of hoping future models will find a way to work the old true TTL option back in somehow: there are advantages to it. ) but a newer P-ttl flash will work OK, if you get hold of one of those too.

If that's making sense: I'm up pretty early this morning.

Anyway, the old 'auto' flash just has a little 'electric eye' on the flash itself which tells the flash when to cut its own duration off: barring anything fooling it or exceeding range limits, it gives light to deliver proper exposure at the f-stop selected.

(True TTL essentially does the same thing, but the 'electric eye' is in the camera, so it can be more direct and precise. )

I like the old 'auto' just fine, though, actually: it's a pretty convenient way to balance the ambient light and what the flash adds. You just tend to get fewer choices of aperture ranges.
I'd like to second what RML said, and add that ttl is in many ways overrated. As far as pttl is concerned, I'd rather just use auto mode on my "old school" flash. It works better and is less confusing to the people in the photo.
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Chris,

I did a little search and found this. I assume your flash is the same.

If the trigger voltage is good, I would use it. I notice that it has TTL, which is useless, and variable ratio manual, which is good, and auto with its own light sensor, which is good.

Try this: set the flash to auto mode and ISO to 400. Notice the aperture indicated by the flash. Now set your camera to M, shutter speed 1/180 or lower, ISO and aperture the same as on the flash. Then fire some test shots. You should have reasonable exposure.

I have 2 copies of Pentax AF540FGZ, but I'm still using it in auto mode, and still using many old flash guns.