Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think it's possible that Pentax is going to be getting around to improving the flash system in general pretty soon, so I suspect that'll be the big news whenever the next models come.

But that's just general speculation, since flash is one of the remaining 'Really Needs Improvement' systems in the camera system.
Maybe the k5 already has radio control built in and will be enabled with a firmware update!

01-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think it's possible that Pentax is going to be getting around to improving the flash system in general pretty soon, so I suspect that'll be the big news whenever the next models come.

But that's just general speculation, since flash is one of the remaining 'Really Needs Improvement' systems in the camera system.
I think you're right. It used to be that when people came to Pentax forums asking for advice, they were referred to other brands if they needed fast autofocus or long lenses. Now the new favorite reasons for not buying Pentax, are Flashes and sometimes long lenses. I think that sales for Pentax are held back more often by the flash gap between Pentax and Nikon than any other reason - just a guess.

If i were Pentax, i'd farm out the flash design work to Metz (to impact Hoya design resources as little as possible) and do nothing but the camera flash controls in house. This kind of partnership will get new flashes/functionality on the market as quickly as possible and benefit Pentax sales of lenses and cameras, while getting license fees from Metz.