Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any rumors of flashes updates?

Does anyone have some rumors of updates for Pentax flashes?
I'm asking because current 360 FGZ and 540 FGZ are quite old, they aren't WR and they have not good controls.

I would like to see 580 FGZ WR flash with color gels support and more flexible menu.

01-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No credible ones, no.
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the issue with flashes the flashes themselves or the camera bodies? Seems like Nikon tweaks their bodies to make them work really well with flash. Pentax not so much.
01-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #4

What controls you find problematic? I find my 540 magnificent.

01-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Build construction. Even my 360 has a battery door which is.... flimsy to be gentle with that poor 360. 540 is even worse.
01-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
What controls you find problematic? I find my 540 magnificent.
1) First of all - bad parameters changing. Very hard to turn with one finger control ring. And not fast usable push button to cycle through all parameters when using in M or A mode.

2) Settings (at least selected mode) are reset when poweroff. (this is most evil and bad)

3) Batteries door is very cheap and unreliable.

4) Instead of dusk blurry red SB AF assist lamp, why not to use bright sharp red laser grid? (like in some sony cameras)

5) No color gels support

6) No WR

7) only 85mm at long end.

8) Additional power supply does not work with AA batteries.

9) in wireless mode you can not control Flash EV remotely.

PS: I wanna see flash competiting with Nikon's SB-900
01-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

10. Poor overall build quality.
11. Zoom motor noisy and can jam.
12. P-TTL is troubled.

01-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
2) Settings (at least selected mode) are reset when poweroff. (this is most evil and bad)
I totally agree, I find this feature to be a major pain in the A.S

dave
01-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

+1000

I also hate the plastic hotshoe mount. It's absurd given the price of the 540gz.

Otherwise, it is a workhorse and it's certainly paid for itself many times over.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
I totally agree, I find this feature to be a major pain in the A.S

dave
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax needs to think BIG and do a flash overhaul

Politely: We aren't thinking big enough.

1. The quality radio triggers out there will allow Canon and Nikon shooters to use their TTL systems to operate with remote triggers (doesn't include the cheap ebay triggers)

2. Nikon apparently (i may be wrong so correct me) has a Flash commander system where they can remotely control the power of their flashes from the camera via their TTL system, so that the resultant flash doesn't overwhelm the camera and have to be adjusted manually.

3. Since the Pentax flashes now for sale are not such a great built, I propose that Pentax do a complete overhaul of PTTL and make it competitive with Nikon. Now that Pentax is doing so much better with their AF, its time for Pentax to take on the vaunted Nikon Flash world with new Pentax flashes and work with the radio trigger crowd, or better yet, incorporate radio triggers directly in the camera.

Nikon directly challenged the K7 successor with the D7000, even as far as including WR in the camera. Pentax should return the challenge in the flash area.

Best wishes,
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Seems like Nikon tweaks their bodies to make them work really well with flash. Pentax not so much.
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
12. P-TTL is troubled.
What kind of trouble are you folks referring to? I found that the p-TTL exposure with K10D (and K20D, from what I heard) is terrible. It is very unpredictable.

The p-TTL exposure problem has been fixed, at least to certain extend, in the K7 and newer DSLRs. The exposure is much more accurate and consistent. I've never compared it to Nikon, but I did some test shots (K7 + 540) against Canon (5D Mk II + 580 EX), both on whatever-TTL. The exposures are pretty much comparable.

I still don't like p-TTL, however. Many people react to the preflash strobe, thus appear to close their eyes during exposure. But this is a problem common to all systems using a preflash strobe, not just Pentax p-TTL.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
I also hate the plastic hotshoe mount. It's absurd given the price of the 540gz
I like the plastic hot foot (the shoe, I think, is on the camera body). If something has to break, it'd better be the flash's foot, not the camera's shoe. The flash's foot is about $40, and is user-replaceable. I don't even want to think about replacing the camera's shoe.
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I like the plastic hot foot (the shoe, I think, is on the camera body). If something has to break, it'd better be the flash's foot, not the camera's shoe. The flash's foot is about $40, and is user-replaceable. I don't even want to think about replacing the camera's shoe.
Can you provide a link where one could purchase said flash foot?
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Can you provide a link where one could purchase said flash foot?
I left a message at Pentax Parts (720-988-2653). I later received a quote from Lynn Badillo (Lynn.Badillo@wildernestlogistics.com):

"#6 is 65864.0Y009 Drop Down Wide Angle Panel $23.56 ea. and are in stock.
#60 is 65864.0Y083 Hot Shoe Assy. $42.62 ea. and are in stock.
If you would like to order Shipping and Handling is $8.00 and we take credit cards.
"

The numbers refer to an exploded diagram she sent me (the foot is #60). I have it here.
01-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks - I had absolutely no idea such a part existed!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I left a message at Pentax Parts (720-988-2653). I later received a quote from Lynn Badillo (Lynn.Badillo@wildernestlogistics.com):

"#6 is 65864.0Y009 Drop Down Wide Angle Panel $23.56 ea. and are in stock.
#60 is 65864.0Y083 Hot Shoe Assy. $42.62 ea. and are in stock.
If you would like to order Shipping and Handling is $8.00 and we take credit cards.
"

The numbers refer to an exploded diagram she sent me (the foot is #60). I have it here.
01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's possible that Pentax is going to be getting around to improving the flash system in general pretty soon, so I suspect that'll be the big news whenever the next models come.

But that's just general speculation, since flash is one of the remaining 'Really Needs Improvement' systems in the camera system.