Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar PRO-548 Series 1 flash

I recently ordered a Pentax AF-360FGZ flash from a site that has a price that almost seemed too good to be true ($165). I used PayPal so they wouldn't get my CC info and today I got the bait and switch call.

They are "out of stock" on the flash I ordered but are offering me this Vivitar flash as a substitute for the same price. I can't find much on this flash in the Pentax version but the woman told me it was new and they were the only ones to have it.

I'm kind of a flash newb and I really don't know how they compare. The Vivitar has a higher guide number but the stuff that is more important to me is PTTL control and the flash not overpowering portraits and other situations where ultimate power isn't what you want. It also has swivel which the AF-360FGZ doesn't have, but if the other features aren't as good then that won't matter to me.

I've found that model on Vivitar's site and of course they make it sound good, but is it really?
Any opinions on how it would compare to the AF-360FGZ?

Thanks!

01-07-2011, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Don't know anything about the Vivitar flash, but I found this.

If it is accessorycircut.com, the website still shows the Pentax 360 in stock.

I'd cancel the order and stay away from too-good-too-be-true deals.

I'd rather spend a bit more money and buy from a reputable dealer.
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I would cancel the order and stay away from those guys .

You can throw in 4 more dollars and get the Sigma EF-530 DG Super at Amzon for $169 .

Amazon.com: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Electronic Flash for Pentax and Samsung DSLR: Camera & Photo
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I canceled it. I was hoping it was true but had a feeling it wouldn't be.
Glad I used PayPal!

Thanks for the advice!

Edit to add it was these guys: http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/

Last edited by mattb123; 01-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
01-07-2011, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You guys do realize that the original Vivitar is out of business and that the name is just getting sold around to companies that use it for instant name recognition and to perhaps dupe people....don't you? Same for Yashica.
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did not. Thanks for that info too!
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

Flash

Did you get them to refund your money. I was stupid enough to fall for this and I am now trying to cancel my order. I cannot cancel the order with my credit card because it is pending. What was your ending result, if there has been one so far?

01-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used PayPal and they refunded it. I had a feeling it might be shady and I figured PayPal is easy to dispute. But couldn't you go through your credit card company? You should still be able to. was it the very same outfit and deal? Good luck!
01-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ashes31 Quote
I cannot cancel the order with my credit card because it is pending.
Yeah. CC companies normally give the seller 30 days to ship or to settle the dispute.

Go ahead, cancel the order and register the complain in writing with the cc company. It may take 30 days, but you'll get your money back.
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #10

Refund

I called the same guy who called me. I told him I wanted to cancel. He said "Ok" and hung up on me. I recieved an email stating I would recieve a refund. As of right now my Credit Card compant wont cancel it but they say I can dispute it. I will know for sure in 3 days if they really are going to refund my money. It was the same deal as everyone else claims. Recieving a call saying what you ordered is back ordered and they offer you something else (seems to always be Vivitar) which is "better" than what you ordered. They also offer it for a low price. Ahhh... I wish they would get shut down!!!
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When you receive your cc bill, if the charge is on the bill, subtract it from the payment and attach a note with you payment stating why.

QuoteOriginally posted by ashes31 Quote
Ahhh... I wish they would get shut down!!!
They will if no one buys from them.

For the sake of other buyers, please publish their name, website,.....
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #12

AccessoryCircuit.com Don't buy from them!!!
01-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
nwvdirect.com for me. I can't recommend them either, although I did get my refund pretty quickly, they still seemed pretty shady.
And if you want to try and get a deal that might be a scam like this use PayPal instead of a credit card so they don't have your CC data and disputes are pretty simple.