Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
MUCH more reliable triggering, but not quite 100%.
Whether you use hot-shoe or sync-cable triggering, shouldn't make a difference, unless there is some electrical issue with the hot-shoe.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The minimum near distance of 30cm is a possible source of misfiring as I am sometimes holding the flash right against the 200 macro to get near shadowless lighting, almost like a ring light.
I'm not saying the minimum distance is 30cm. It can be really quite small depending on from which angle you approach the V5 with the RF60.

I've done quite a bit of macro shooting in the same style as you do (using radio triggers and hand-holding both camera and flash, sometimes very close to each other) and experienced misfires due to coming below the minimum distance. The V6 had the same limitation and I asked Cactus whether they could at all optionally reduce the transmission power to gain better minimum distance tolerance in return for loss in long range performance. Luckily, after a while, they responded with a firmware update for the V6 that included the "SHORT" range feature.

With the V5, it can help to just rotate the RF60 around its long axis. This doesn't change the lighting, but can influence the minimum distance tolerance.

07-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the additional tip.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Whether you use hot-shoe or sync-cable triggering, shouldn't make a difference, unless there is some electrical issue with the hot-shoe.

I'm not saying the minimum distance is 30cm. It can be really quite small depending on from which angle you approach the V5 with the RF60.

I've done quite a bit of macro shooting in the same style as you do (using radio triggers and hand-holding both camera and flash, sometimes very close to each other) and experienced misfires due to coming below the minimum distance. The V6 had the same limitation and I asked Cactus whether they could at all optionally reduce the transmission power to gain better minimum distance tolerance in return for loss in long range performance. Luckily, after a while, they responded with a firmware update for the V6 that included the "SHORT" range feature.

With the V5, it can help to just rotate the RF60 around its long axis. This doesn't change the lighting, but can influence the minimum distance tolerance.
01-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #273

Thank you for the insight. My K70 has a shutter release of 3.5mm and so does the Cactus V5. It is stated "The required camera remote trigger cable is camera-specific and an optional accessory. Luckily, for Pentax users the required cable is a standard 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male audio adapter cable, such as this one." I have hooked up using the 3.5mm cable but cannot get it to fire the shutter. Tried the exact techniques the article stated to do. Hope someone can help.
01-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FLOSSEY Quote
My K70 has a shutter release of 3.5mm and so does the Cactus V5.
Yes, but the K-70 uses a four-pole type and hence doesn't work with standard Pentax remote controls or standard Pentax remote shutter cables.

You should be able to make your own cable by observing the standard pin layout of the 3.5mm cable coming from the Cactus V5 (I haven't verified the described layout but it sounds right and you can easily try both variants of swapping the "AF" with the "release" cable).

I don't think Cactus sell a K-70 specific shutter release cable but you can always write to them if you are not comfortable constructing your own cable.

You may also try your luck with a 3-pole to 4-pole adapter, as it apparently exists for the Xbox. I don't have any personal experience with one of these, though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Class A; 01-22-2019 at 05:17 AM.
01-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #275

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, but the K-70 uses a four-pole type and hence doesn't work with standard Pentax remote controls or standard Pentax remote shutter cables.

You should be able to make your own cable by observing the standard pin layout of the 3.5mm cable coming from the Cactus V5 (I haven't verified the described layout but it sounds right and you can easily try both variants of swapping the "AF" with the "release" cable).

I don't think Cactus sell a K-70 specific shutter release cable but you can always write to them if you are not comfortable constructing your own cable.

You may also try your luck with a 3-pole to 4-pole adapter, as it apparently exists for the Xbox. I don't have any personal experience with one of these, though.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response. I will contact Cactus for a cable