Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
this is what manual says

Cactus Wireless Trigger v5 | CACTUS

---------- Post added 02-11-14 at 11:19 AM ----------

Gadget infinity has a longer list than official Cactus web page. Thanks you made my day im going for them
Thanks Eder, made my day. I was in the middle of one shoot with rechargeables, and the remote died after about 2 or 3 shots. I use AA eneloops for the main flash power and they work fine in that capacity. But for the small AAA of the remotes - rechargeables are just not reliable IMO. And it probably has to do with the voltage the radio receivers were designed for.

02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #257
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi guys,

I own a Sigma EF-610 DG super which has HSS support, but it doesn't have a cord. My question is whether I can use HSS with my sigma and this trigger?

Thanks a lot.
02-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #258
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
Hi guys,

I own a Sigma EF-610 DG super which has HSS support, but it doesn't have a cord. My question is whether I can use HSS with my sigma and this trigger?

Thanks a lot.
I think HSS requires TTL. This trigger is for manual triggering. So no HSS
02-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #259
icy

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
I think HSS requires TTL. This trigger is for manual triggering. So no HSS
In the review, there is "Sync-speed up to 1/1000s". So you meant this's only true when using cord?

Thanks a lot.!

02-20-2014, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
In the review, there is "Sync-speed up to 1/1000s".
That just refers to the speed the trigger could support via radio triggering.

However, the vast majority of cameras support 1/250s or slower as a maximum sync speed.

HSS works with higher shutter speeds but requires TTL communication. The Cactus V5 does not support such TTL communication. No other radio triggers supports it either, with one exception: The Aokatec triggers which however require a pretty bulky setup as they first encode optical signals into radio signals and then decode the latter into optical signals again.
03-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #261
Forum Member

kr and manual mode

i just bought this radio triggers, works fine on every shot, the only issue and is BIG is that one i put my camera on manual mode not works. It fires on any priority,automatic,program,presets, but the most important is not working. any suggerstion? Also owhen i click test button not works but when I press shutter it does. any idea will be fine
03-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i just bought this radio triggers, works fine on every shot, the only issue and is BIG is that one i put my camera on manual mode not works. It fires on any priority,automatic,program,presets, but the most important is not working. any suggerstion?
Clearly either your camera has an issue with triggering in manual mode OR you are using a shutter speed in manual mode that exceeds 1/180s.

Pentax cameras disable any form of triggering beyond 1/180s, so make sure you don't exceed that speed when using manual mode.

Also owhen i click test button not works but when I press shutter it does. any idea will be fine
Are you fully pressing the test button?

It has a half-press functionality (e.g., for activating AF when used as a camera trigger) so make sure you are fully pressing the test button in order to fire flashes. The indicator on the V5 must light up green, otherwise you are not pressing hard enough.

P.S.: You should not post the same question three times. I suggest you delete your copies here and here.

03-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #263
Forum Member

thanks A LOT

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Clearly either your camera has an issue with triggering in manual mode OR you are using a shutter speed in manual mode that exceeds 1/180s.

Pentax cameras disable any form of triggering beyond 1/180s, so make sure you don't exceed that speed when using manual mode.

Are you fully pressing the test button?

It has a half-press functionality (e.g., for activating AF when used as a camera trigger) so make sure you are fully pressing the test button in order to fire flashes. The indicator on the V5 must light up green, otherwise you are not pressing hard enough.

P.S.: You should not post the same question three times. I suggest you delete your copies here and here.

Class A I tip my hat to you, you are mazing, you are right on both of my issues, only nikon can 1/1000 with this according to users manual, and when i test mine i didnt check my shutter speed, i was so excited with this new toy that i just shot. And also the test button it was only to press a little more.

Sorry for puting my question on several forums. And theank you so much
03-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #264
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And thank you so much
You are welcome.
03-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Well, Class A, it's your own fault that you are a helpful guy who answered a lot of questions asked in this thread...
You force me to add my own

I have not used any type of flash in the last few years, and the last (and only) one I ever used was the built-in one.
So now I want to get a little bit more into portrait photography and creative plays with light, and thought about buying this here:
Cactus V5 Strobist Starter Kit - Gadget Infinity

Any ideas whether that is worth the money?
I am not sure if I need the box and the umbrella for now (I could work something out with white sheets, when needed...), but what I definitely want after the little research I did is a manual flash (without any TTL metering) and a remote trigger.

Thanks for any feedback!
BR René
03-18-2014, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #266
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Any ideas whether that is worth the money?
To be honest, I'd personally stay away from the included KF36 flash.

Instead, I'd go for the brand new Cactus RF60 and combine it with the upcoming Cactus V6 trigger. This combination allows one to control the power setting of the flash from the camera position. This is very useful, in particular, if you put the flash into a softbox (which you'd otherwise have to rip open and close again for each adjustment).

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I am not sure if I need the box and the umbrella for now (I could work something out with white sheets, when needed...), but what I definitely want after the little research I did is a manual flash (without any TTL metering) and a remote trigger.
I agree that a combination of softbox and umbrella is typically overkill and that you'll be fine with bouncing off white sheets, etc. most of the time.
03-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for your feedback
07-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PROBLEM WITH V5 WIRELESS TRIGGER:
Sorry if this problem has arisen and an answer been given - 18 pages of comments is a lot to go through.
SITUATION: using a Cactus V5 on a Pentax K3 to fire a Cactus RF60 flash (which has a built-in receiver) while taking macro shots outdoors, early AM, camera mode set to "X."
PROBLEM: the flash will trigger correctly for about 5~6 shots, then suddenly it will not fire. The flash is recharged, the V5 has fresh batteries. Pressing the test/fire button atop the V5 fails to trigger the flash. Changing channels on RF60 & V5 fails to trigger flash. BUT, flash fires 100% of time if immediately connected to the K3 hot shoe with a wire.

Whenever I've had this problem (=routinely), I've tested the V5 & RF60 both on and off a camera after returning home, and predictably the combination is 100% reliable firing either by the test button or with the V5 mounted on a hot shoe.

The wireless trigger is very useful for outdoor macro as I can quickly change the position/angle/distance of the flash to experiment with lighting. Wired connection is not as convenient because the wire increases the risk of nudging or hitting a leaf, blade of grass, small branch, etc. and sending an insect flying. Also, the wirelessly linked flash can be popped into a pocket before moving on, whereas a wire must be unplugged and is then inconveniently dangling from either a pocket or the camera hot shoe.
07-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #269
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
PROBLEM: the flash will trigger correctly for about 5~6 shots, then suddenly it will not fire.
I cannot reproduce your problem.

My RF60 fires every time, I press the test button on my V5.

The only detail I need to pay attention to, is to press the test button hard enough, so that it lights up green (not just orange). Unless one fully presses down the test button, the V5 will not send a trigger signal.

Are you moving the camera/V5 during the shoot/test at all? If the distance between the V5 and the RF60 becomes too small, the RF60 will not be triggered anymore. The minimum distance depends on where from you are approach the RF60. Try if you can achieve 100% reliability by staying at least 30cm or so away.

A V6 can be set to "SHORT" range, in which case the minimum radio distance becomes dramatically smaller. On the default "LONG" range setting, it will require a similar minimum distance like a V5.
07-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for comments. I was out this morning doing some macro shooting and experimented plugging the V5 into the PC socket while it was mounted on the hot shoe. MUCH more reliable triggering, but not quite 100%. The minimum near distance of 30cm is a possible source of misfiring as I am sometimes holding the flash right against the 200 macro to get near shadowless lighting, almost like a ring light. I have been considering a V6 trigger, which might serve my particular needs better. WP

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I cannot reproduce your problem.

My RF60 fires every time, I press the test button on my V5.

The only detail I need to pay attention to, is to press the test button hard enough, so that it lights up green (not just orange). Unless one fully presses down the test button, the V5 will not send a trigger signal.

Are you moving the camera/V5 during the shoot/test at all? If the distance between the V5 and the RF60 becomes too small, the RF60 will not be triggered anymore. The minimum distance depends on where from you are approach the RF60. Try if you can achieve 100% reliability by staying at least 30cm or so away.

A V6 can be set to "SHORT" range, in which case the minimum radio distance becomes dramatically smaller. On the default "LONG" range setting, it will require a similar minimum distance like a V5.