Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Off Camera Flash: A New Way to Blow Money

Having recently picked up a set of the el cheapo eBay radio flash triggers and finding myself thoroughly thrilled at the possibilities they open up, I did what any of us would quite naturally do.

I cracked open my wallet and bought even more stuff!

Today the mailman brought me a package from Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo containing an Etsumi light stand (telescopes up to 205cm), a ball head to go atop it, an optical slave, an extra hotshoe with PC cord (for use with my medium format cold shoe cameras)....and an extra strap just to round out the order and get me to the minimum for free postage.

Now I can set up one flash on my tripod with the radio trigger, another on the light stand with the optical slave, and have fun trying to learn a brand new aspect of photography.

Why my wife hasn't killed me yet, I'll never know.

10-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably because it is illegal for her to kill you.
10-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Explain that you actually saved money ;-)
For the price of a Pentax 540, I bought a few flashes and fleabay triggers and a lightstand and umbrella. Way more lighting control than a single P-TTL flash, though I'll probably have issues trying to photograph dynamic situations (e.g., kids running around indoors)...
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Have fun. I'm sure you'll learn a lot with all that manual flash experience you're about to have

10-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

I think I have the same Etsumi lightstand But I didnt get a ballhead for it, just a swivel adapter, it will move in all the ways I want anyway
10-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I manage to get up tomorrow, I plan to pack a lunch and spend several hours practicing and experimenting with flash at the old textile/weaving museum here in town. The place is practically deserted, so I won't bother anyone and no one will bother me.

I think if my wife ever finds out the different categories of homicide, I'm done for.

1. Negligent
2. Intentional
3. Commendable

I fall under #3 on most days.
10-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't get this marriage thing, do you?!?!?

She won't lay a hand on you! She's going to kill you with loving. As in loving to shop, loving to travel, loving to see old friend (you'd rather forget). And all this loving is going to take a very long time. You will pay and pay and pay. Slow torture, lingering death. And all along the way that look-a little bit smile, a little bit frown, a little bit....

Get the picture?

This year I've been married exactly half my life; next summer it will be a quarter century. I know the subject of which I speak.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If I manage to get up tomorrow, I plan to pack a lunch and spend several hours practicing and experimenting with flash at the old textile/weaving museum here in town. The place is practically deserted, so I won't bother anyone and no one will bother me.

I think if my wife ever finds out the different categories of homicide, I'm done for.

1. Negligent
2. Intentional
3. Commendable

I fall under #3 on most days.

10-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

LOL I'm in the exact same boat Mike. Just bought myself an extra flash, el-cheapo wireless trigger (already had an optical slave for the 2nd flash) and a lightstand, plus an umbrella too.

It was nice knowing ya. *waves* (ha ha)

-Dan
10-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
This year I've been married exactly half my life; next summer it will be a quarter century. I know the subject of which I speak.
Congrats John, that's a pretty good record.
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

i agree with john. well, either that or she's in a coma at the present time. i thought you were just going to list an off camera sync cord which i think is some of the best $$ i've ever spent.
10-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John and I have in common that we've been married half our lives (I passed the sad milestone in August of last year). At this point I'd welcome some of that loving....even the kind that kills me.

@Dan: I lacked the courage to push my luck by getting an umbrella at the same time. (In the previous week the postman had delivered three antique cameras, and she was starting to get testy).

@Roy: Already had the sync cord. And have already had it out at night with an old Yashica Electro 35 doing some night shots downtown. I mounted the camera on a tripod and rigged the flash atop my monopod for light-on-a-stick flash. That little trip was the inspiration for buying the flash triggers. The cord is fine, but a bit impractical for street work.
10-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread cracks me up. Congrats on the new gear Mike. Should be fun and you need to train an assistant so that he can take some great pictures of you at your wake. Give him your password to this site so we can collectively stand at attention and raise a glass to the guy who bought just one too many peices of gear....
10-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You just gave me an inspiration, Peter.

I was going to make a joke about not having enough money to buy a casket big enough to throw all my gear in with me, so she'd probably just throw it in the hole after me. Then I remembered that I'll probably end up being cremated. That gave me the idea of having them open up an old telephoto lens and using it as an urn. But I'd hate to see a good lens go to waste like that, so as a compromise I'm considering the old case that goes with my Takumar 200/4. What could be better!
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You just gave me an inspiration, Peter.

I was going to make a joke about not having enough money to buy a casket big enough to throw all my gear in with me, so she'd probably just throw it in the hole after me. Then I remembered that I'll probably end up being cremated. That gave me the idea of having them open up an old telephoto lens and using it as an urn. But I'd hate to see a good lens go to waste like that, so as a compromise I'm considering the old case that goes with my Takumar 200/4. What could be better!

LOL ! LOL ! LOL !

+ I can't just post one "LOL" , too short +
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see the ad on eBay:
Snappy, oil free aperture. No fungus, haze or scratches but a little dust inside the lens that doesn't affect the pictures.