Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash radio triggers reviews and resource thread

The idea of this thread which is now a sticky (top of the forum) is to put radio trigger reviews in one spot. Some of the info may be a bit dated as models change. But this can also help those looking at used units as well.

I encourage those who actively use radio triggers to create their own threads with a review(s) of a device and then send me the link. I'll add it to this post to be easily found.

Also if you are aware of a review we should link to this thread, please send me the link via PM

If you are looking for a 'template' for a review, please read the excellent thread created by member Class A of the Cactus V5 below.

Flashwaves Review.Contains original and some updated info on VIII

Cactus V5

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-16-2011 at 09:07 AM.
10-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/202720-...view-info.html

Elinchrom system
04-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The Cactus V6 finally fills a big hole for Pentax shooters.

Never before could Pentaxians manually remote control the power levels of multiple off-camera speedlights. The V6 handles both legacy TTL flashes and selected modern digital flashes.
10-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Doesn't the Yongnuo YN560-TX Wireless Flash Controller do that also?

I have one on order for the Yongnuo YN560 III flashgun but the controller hasn't arrived yet.

AFAIK the 2.4GHz control is unidirectional - it is not a "comms protocol" - so one controller should be able to control an unlimited number of remotely located flashguns.

10-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Doesn't the Yongnuo YN560-TX Wireless Flash Controller do that also?
The YN560-TX also remotely controls the power of off-camera flashes and does this for six groups (rather than the four of the V6) but this is were the similarities end:

The V6 is much more capable and user-friendly:
  1. It allows mixing flashes from all sorts of brands. The YN560-TX only supports the YN560-III and (to some extent) a few more YN triggers.
  2. It has an absolute power mode that allows power control using EV steps (rather than the typical flash fractions), calibrating all involved flashes to adhere to the same EV scale.
  3. It can profile most analogue TTL flashes so that they can be remote power controlled, even using levels they did not previously support (such as 1/128).
  4. It uses a dial rather than buttons to change power levels. This allows quick and precise control at the same time (this is why DSLRs use dials to control aperture and shutter speed).
  5. You can mount a flash on top of the V6 for using on-camera flash while controlling off-camera flashes. The V6 supports TTL pass-through for a number of flash systems, including Pentax.
  6. It has an optical trigger function that can for instance be used to get an HSS trigger signal from HSS-capable flashes.
  7. It has a delay function that can be used for emulating second curtain-sync and HSS timing.
I guess further discussion should probably be held in a different thread.
08-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The YN560-TX also remotely controls the power of off-camera flashes and does this for six groups (rather than the four of the V6) but this is were the similarities end:

The V6 is much more capable and user-friendly:
  1. It allows mixing flashes from all sorts of brands. The YN560-TX only supports the YN560-III and (to some extent) a few more YN triggers.
  2. It has an absolute power mode that allows power control using EV steps (rather than the typical flash fractions), calibrating all involved flashes to adhere to the same EV scale.
  3. It can profile most analogue TTL flashes so that they can be remote power controlled, even using levels they did not previously support (such as 1/128).
  4. It uses a dial rather than buttons to change power levels. This allows quick and precise control at the same time (this is why DSLRs use dials to control aperture and shutter speed).
  5. You can mount a flash on top of the V6 for using on-camera flash while controlling off-camera flashes. The V6 supports TTL pass-through for a number of flash systems, including Pentax.
  6. It has an optical trigger function that can for instance be used to get an HSS trigger signal from HSS-capable flashes.
  7. It has a delay function that can be used for emulating second curtain-sync and HSS timing.
I guess further discussion should probably be held in a different thread.
As I am fairly beginner in flash photography, does this mean, that:
with V6 I can use different brand flashes together, including flashes which was not originally dedicated to Pentax?
that for instance Pentax AF 200 FG?
Thanks a lot!
08-26-2015, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
As I am fairly beginner in flash photography, does this mean, that:
with V6 I can use different brand flashes together, including flashes which was not originally dedicated to Pentax?
that for instance Pentax AF 200 FG?
Thanks a lot!
Yes, the Cactus V6 allows you to use flashes from different systems together for off-camera control, as long as the respective models are supported.

The Pentax AF200 is so limited, though, that you'll only be able to remote trigger it, but not remote power control it.
02-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Seems the right place for this video review of the Acon P-TTL radio flash trigger:

03-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

I have had great luck with the Pocketwizard Plus X triggers. There is no TTL with them, you must shoot entirely manual but they do a great job triggering my LumoPro 180 Speed Lights.
01-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Cactus V6II & RF60/x 'X-TTL' User Review :

I have added a new Review in the 'Third Party Flashes' section ....this is for the new 'X-TTL' firmware with the Cactus V6II and RF60/x flashes. Please click through to see the Review .... Cactus V6II & RF60/x 'X-TTL' reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

i am new with pentax and i dont speak english very well. please help me. I change my canon 60D for a pentax K3 and i am very very happy but... i can not make a HSS shot with flash out of my camera. I used a godox tt600 and a X1t-c with my canon but i can find the triger for pentax. exist for olympus, fuji, sony, canon and nikon but not for pentax. please what i most use for get hss out of my pentax k3
07-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by W.Ruiz Quote
i am new with pentax and i dont speak english very well. please help me. I change my canon 60D for a pentax K3 and i am very very happy but... i can not make a HSS shot with flash out of my camera. I used a godox tt600 and a X1t-c with my canon but i can find the triger for pentax. exist for olympus, fuji, sony, canon and nikon but not for pentax. please what i most use for get hss out of my pentax k3
I'm not too big of an expert on triggers, but doesn't the Cactus V6II offer that functionality?

Cactus Enhances Wireless Flash Capabilities for Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

You'd also need to use a P-TTL capable flash; AFAIK Metz, Sigma, and Pentax would be the brands that support it. Here's are some options:

Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 Digital Flash for Pentax MZ 44327PEN B&H
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash 30438 B&H Photo Video
Used Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash 30456 B&H Photo Video (used)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-31-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.Ruiz Quote
Hello.

To get HSS with Godox flashes you'll need a Cactus V6II, as Adam pointed. A common solution is to stack your Godox trigger on top of the Cactus V6 II. I don't know the Godox tt600 but it's a flash that supports the X protocol so it should be similar to the v860c or AD200. I recommend you to read the thread "HSS: Godox XT32N, Godox Ving 850 Mk I Flash and Cactus V6ii - Setup instructions - PentaxForums.com" or "K3-II + V6 II + XT32C + AD200 = HSS frustration :( - PentaxForums.com", you will find how to set up the V6 II & Godox triggers stacked to get HSS. I hope you find it useful. Several users got HSS with the FT16,XT16,XT32 and XproC Godox triggers on top of the Cactus V6II, and I remember a user that got HSS with the X1T trigger, but I didn't find it. Good luck.

As this thread is only for trigger reviews, maybe is better to post your questions on the thread I told your or other similar thread, there are a lot of threads about HSS with Cactus V6II and Godox triggers.

Regards.

P.D. Se habla espaņol, por si hace falta
11-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Once again the Pentax Forums come to my rescue. This thread has been illuminating (pun intended).

I am a complete novice as it comes to flash and about a year ago bought a Pentax AF360FGZ II flash gun, with the intention of one day learning how to use it off-camera with my beloved K-3.

From this thread I found out about the Cactus V6 II. It seems that the Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 II is the unit to buy, and B&H Photo have them for US$95 + shipping to Australia. But there’s another unit for sale, a Cactus Wireless Transceiver V6 II and LV5 Laser Trigger Kit which retails at US$195 + shipping and I don’t know what the difference is and what the Laser Trigger Kit would be used for/how it would be used. So I'd thought I'd ask the forum gurus.

I'm someone who has wrangled an SLR then DSLR, I'm in my 60s, I take mainly landscapes (monochrome and infrared), and I'm a complete novice with flash so feel free to talk down to me and keep things simple.

I'm thinking of buying this ebook to guide my flash journey: Electronic Flash - Parts and Practices | 52% Off Special | Photzy