Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Universal Flash Diffuser from Meritline

Hi,

Is this a good diffuser from Meritline.com? It certainly is cheap.

Universal Flash Diffuser for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus

I was going to make one myself (see below), but then I saw the one from Meritline.com. I appreciate it if anyone can comment on either one of them or perhaps a better diffuser. I have a k-x and just bought a Sigma EF-530 DG Super flash.

DIY Gary Fong Lightsphere

01-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For the price i can't see where ya could go wrong.
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy yourself a packet of lens tissue and jerry- rig something to cover the flash cell with 1, 2, maybe three pieces. Maybe just a rubber band or tape to start, as a test.

These things look cool, but most of the time, they're lousy at what they're supposed to do.
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is cheaper. It works for me.

The price is currently $0.47 a sheet of 10.5"X13.5".

01-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Respectedent Quote
Hi,

Is this a good diffuser from Meritline.com? It certainly is cheap.

Universal Flash Diffuser for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus
When mine shows up, I'll let you know. :-)

They ship from Singapore, apparently on a slow tramp freighter, since they say to allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. I the time is accurate, mine should be here by Tuesday. They we on sale even cheaper so I bought a 5 pack, planning on giving 2 away to family and putting one in each of my camera bags.

I've tried various DIY solutions and found they work fine, most just don't pack well in smaller camera bags but the Meritline diffuser looks like it should pack better. If I carry tissues I end up using them for my nose rather than diffusing.
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got one of these--it works great. Very convienant as well, unlike some of the DIY stuff (unless you want to spend more time). It does not diffuse the flash as strongly as a more opaque plastic would. The interior of the back side has a silver reflective lining, by the way. Buy it! Heck at this price, you could by several and cut them up/add black tape to the sides or top in different ways to get different effects. I have been meaning to do a review of it for some time now...
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback. I will probably try a few DIY ones when I have time, but too bad I missed the Meritline deal. All sold out. The convenience and the cheap price is probably worth it. I will keep an eye on it and buy it when it becomes available again.

01-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Respectedent Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. I will probably try a few DIY ones when I have time, but too bad I missed the Meritline deal. All sold out. The convenience and the cheap price is probably worth it. I will keep an eye on it and buy it when it becomes available again.
Do a search on ebay for universal flash diffuser and I think you will find the same item. I know I've seen them on there before.

Last edited by WJW; 01-22-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: wording