Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Fill flash with K-7?

I see there is no "fill-flash" setting on the K-7 built-in flash. Is it really necessary to buy an external flash to get the subtle effect of a fill-flash?

The shot this pertains to for me is fly fishermen holding up a fish, and friends have said that taking the shot with a polarizing filter and fill flash makes for the best shot for magazine cover shots.....but I assumed the K-7 would have a fill flash setting that would be more subtle than the normal flash.....can the normal flash be used for this purpose or will it be too harsh? Seems silly that there wouldn't be a mode for a more moderate flash, forcing you to buy an external flash?

Some clarification would be great! Thanks -LE

01-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Loren,
I have similar need, indoor shots of people using fill flash.

I recently discovered that the old ist ds will do fill flash roughly the way I want it with its internal flash modulating down to very low levels but only with a DA lens in MANUAL and lots of practice before hand. It is screwed up by reflections off shiny objects, even with spot metering. And I don't have a proper DA lens for this, as I tell my wife.

The best way I have here is with a M lens ~ f2.8 ~1/60th and an old AF16 flash on a grip that I modified to put out very low adjustable levels.
The AF360 can be run in manual for a low level fill flash too - adjustable down to 1/32nd, I recall.

I will be interested to hear how you do with the K-7
01-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Should be a Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) somewhere in there...
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Watching the Barret-Jackson now , you guys got me off topic to watch how the pro still photographer does it with another name camera.
The flash is about 12 inch above the camera and thru a heavy diffuser. Camera right in the face of the celebrities on the podium,
Shooting with the camera above his head and the more, the merrier, blazing away to look at the results occasionally.
I can't see what lens.

01-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Flash exposure compensation? Care to elaborate on this....is it a setting on the K-7 that isn't under the normal flash settings which are just "on", "auto", "redeye", etc?

How about the Gary Fong Flash Diffuser? Looks like it would work well for fill-flash shots of people? Any idea as to whether the knockoff on amazon for half the price would be just as good?

Maybe I should make a separate post specifically asking about this gadget....
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Flash exposure compensation? Care to elaborate on this....is it a setting on the K-7 that isn't under the normal flash settings which are just "on", "auto", "redeye", etc?
Page 177 of the manual You can turn the rear dial to change the amount of light of the flash.
01-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Sterretje! So would just turning the amount of light from the flash down function as an effective fill flash or would I be better off still getting a puffer to diffuse the light?