Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quantaray QA 25 flash

I just came across a Quantaray QA 25 hot-shoe flash unit. It appears to be unused & was in my daughter's old camera bag along with her Nikon N2000 SLR. I'm thinking this could be a TTL flash I might be able to use with my *istD. Anyone have any experience with this unit? There is almost no information online to be found - a couple ebay listings with little or no info. Thanks for any information!

Paul

01-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

BEFORE ATTACHING THE FLASH TO THE CAMERA: please check the flash's trigger voltage. Have the flash fully charge, measure the voltage from the center pin of the flash's foot (positive - red arrow) and one of the contacts on the sides of the flash's foot (ground - green arrow). If the reading is 6V or less, the flash is definitely safe. If more than 6V, it's "your call." I use 24V as the limit. Do a search for "flash trigger voltage" if you need more info.

If the trigger voltage is safe, the Q25 can be used with your camera. I don't think the Q25 supports TTL. The easiest it to use its auto mode. Try this:

- set the switch in front of the Q25 to one of the two auto mode settings.
- set the ISO selector in the back on the Q25 to 400, note the aperture setting indicated by the Q25.
- set the camera to X, or M with shutter speed of 1/180 sec or slower.
- set the camera ISO setting to 400.
- set the lens aperture to the same value as indicated by the Q25.

Take some test photos.
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, SOldbear - I'll check the voltage first chance I get. This one is really just for playing around with - Eventually I want to find an AF280T for use with my *istD. Appreciate the info, though!

Paul