Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pocket wizards and K20 & AF540

Has anyone had any experience with how the Pocket Wizards work with the Pentax gear. Will I require any additional equipment like hot shoes? I also have a Metz 36CT2 which will hopefully work OK.

02-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

If you want to connect the Pocket Wizard to the AF 540 FTZ flash, you can do it in 2 ways:

With a lot of hotshoe connectors:

Or with a custom made cable:

and solder a 3.5 mm jack to the center and ground, to plug it directly into the Pocket Wizard.

The first option is very unstable, and I recommend the custom cable.
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would the first photo above provide TTL information or something? I thought that couldn't be transmitted. Isn't it simpler to just mount something like this on the flash and just use the cord provided with the pocket wizard to connect the two? The second PW would then be placed on the camera's hot shoe and then trigger the flash.
02-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #4

Not at all. The TTL information is transmitted through one of the side contacts in the hotshoe, and the Pocket Wizard is not able to transmit other things than the trigger signal.

As far as I know, newer Pocket Wizards are able to control TTL for Nikon and Canon flashes.

Yes, the hotshoe adapter you are referring to will also do the job.

In the setup I needed to have the flash positioned as low as possible, to light the umbrella in the center, and the hotshoe adapter would add height to the setup.

02-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris.Nielsen Quote
In the setup I needed to have the flash positioned as low as possible, to light the umbrella in the center, and the hotshoe adapter would add height to the setup.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks.