Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Automatic exposure (P-TTL) is the only option when using an off-camera flash in SLAVE mode AND using the built-in flash in MASTER mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
So, when off camera, you have no choice but p-ttl? Just trying to figure this out because I was going to pick up the 50 af-1 and just assumed that it worked like my cheap lumopro lp120.

02-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the manual in front of me..."A manual flash exposure correction can be set from -3 to +3 stops )EV) in 1/3 increments on the slave flash unit in the remote mode (see also 8)"

I really owe you some accurate info now so I am testing this before i say any more. Later....
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Ok, tested this time before opening my yap. Still seeing spots from all the flashing can hardly type %$^&

After putting the flash into SLave mode, press both Select buttons again to get to EV and then with the -/+ buttons adjust 3 stops either way. Depending on the camera, you can adjust the EV with the camera flash adjustment IN ADDITION to the on-flash adjustment.
However, if the flash is set to Manual first and the power adjusted (1/1 - 1/128), that is ignored once slave it enabled.
The camera calculates the power and shutter speed and relays power setting to the flash. Other than the on-camera flash adjustment there is no other direct way to alter power and certainly no way to make an absolute power setting. But with the combination of adjustments at least we can change the calculated power by -5 to +4 stops.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Sorry again for the misleading info. [excuse follows] When I first got the Metz a couple years ago I really understood all the capabilities but now I have forgotten all but the few that I use daily.
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I haven't done it yet but I assume manual power off-camera is possible with a sync cable.
Absolutely. Thats what I usually do.