Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Manual Flash Control

Is it possible to manually set the flash power in a wireless configuration? I'm using the on-board flash to control a Metz AF-1 set to SLAVE. At first glance it seems as though just P-TTL is possible.

Any insight would be appreciated.

02-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You dont say which camera or flash you are using but I can tell you that the Metz 48 AF-1 has no problem working in Manual mode while a slave. With a K20D or K-5 you can't set the manual level (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) from the camera using the built-in flash for wireless mode, you set it on the flash itself. If I am not understanding your question please restate and I will try again.
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using both the K10D and K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
You dont say which camera or flash you are using but I can tell you that the Metz 48 AF-1 has no problem working in Manual mode while a slave. With a K20D or K-5 you can't set the manual level (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) from the camera using the built-in flash for wireless mode, you set it on the flash itself. If I am not understanding your question please restate and I will try again.
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do you set the flash power for the AF-1 while in slave mode?

02-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
How do you set the flash power for the AF-1 while in slave mode?
while it would be nice feature, I don't think that is possible. As you suspected, only p-ttl or manual (on flash) power control
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

You have to do it at the flash. Specifically for the Metz 48, press the Mode button until "M" is displayed instead of P-TTL. Then use the Select buttons, "-" and +"" to change to power between full (1/1) and lowest (1/128). If you are trying to change the power from the camera to the slave, as enoeske said, it would be nice but you can't do it with the built-in wireless controller.

Last edited by imtheguy; 02-07-2011 at 01:53 PM.
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When the AF-1 is in SLAVE mode you cannot adjust the flash power. It's locked in SLAVE mode until you shut SLAVE mode off.

Perhaps I should try updating the firmware on my AF-1.

You have to do it at the flash. Specifically for the Metz 48, press the Mode button until "M" is displayed instead of P-TTL. Then us the Select buttons, "-" and +"" to change to power between full (1/1) and lowest (1/128). If you are trying to change the power from the camera to the slave, as enoeske said, it would be nice but you can't do it with the built-in wireless controller.

02-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Take the flash off the camera and turn it on.
Set it to Slave,
Press MODE until it in "M" for manual.

Now what displays when you press the "-" button multiple times?

Out of curiosity, which Metz model is this (AF-1 is not the model).
Agree, update firmware to latest can't hurt but I don't think thats the issue.
02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My bad, 48 AF-1.

I am using the flash off the camera wirelessly. That's why it's in SLAVE mode. Once it's in SLAVE mode I can't adjust anything other than turning SLAVE mode off.

Take the flash off the camera and turn it on.
Set it to Slave,
Press MODE until it in "M" for manual.

Now what displays when you press the "-" button multiple times?

Out of curiosity, which Metz model is this (AF-1 is not the model).
Agree, update firmware to latest can't hurt but I don't think thats the issue.
02-07-2011, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I just went and walked though my current off camera set up from the beginning and owe you an apology a page long. I STILL HAVE AN EXTENSION CABLE RUN TO THE FLASH. Since I alternate off camera between true Slave and cable (SO I CAN SET THE POWER MANUALLY) all I should have said in the first response is "Yes", can't set it manually once in SL mode. I am sorry for wasting your time without first checking my setup. Feel free to deduct 50 points from my Rep.

Sorry!
02-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So, when it's in slave mode (off camera) what power setting does it use? You can only use manual power modes when its on-camera???
02-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
+1 for making the effort.

I just went and walked though my current off camera set up from the beginning and owe you an apology a page long. I STILL HAVE AN EXTENSION CABLE RUN TO THE FLASH. Since I alternate off camera between true Slave and cable (SO I CAN SET THE POWER MANUALLY) all I should have said in the first response is "Yes", can't set it manually once in SL mode. I am sorry for wasting your time without first checking my setup. Feel free to deduct 50 points from my Rep.

Sorry!
02-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's all automatic via P-TTL.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
So, when it's in slave mode (off camera) what power setting does it use? You can only use manual power modes when its on-camera???
02-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't done it yet but I assume manual power off-camera is possible with a sync cable.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
02-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It's all automatic via P-TTL.
So, when off camera, you have no choice but p-ttl? Just trying to figure this out because I was going to pick up the 50 af-1 and just assumed that it worked like my cheap lumopro lp120.